MATT S. [9]

"Matt! Wake up!" A deep whisper followed by someone shaking my shoulder had startled me awake. I cringed at the horrible hangover pounding against my skull like a freaking train ran right over it for a good hour. I blinked frowning trying to understand what was happening at the moment. "Matt!" Neil hisses below a whisper confusing me even more when I realised it was dark.

"What?" I groaned, he shushes me gently tugging my arm to get up and I complied not wanting to make my migraine worse as it is. "Matt, listen to me very carefully. There are people coming and I need you to hide somewhere where they can't find you." My heart stopped at his tone; a bright glint blinded my eyes until I saw what it was—a gun.

I must be in Neil's room considering the only lights giving me enough visibility in the darkness are the computer monitors at the other end of the room beside two large windows. I sucked in a breath, "N-Neil-" He shushes me again, helping me stand on my two feet feeling my body sway when I was subtly dizzy. I felt his lips press onto my forehead with his arm around my torsos, "Don't worry, it'll be over in no time. Just hide, okay? I'll find you."

No matter how many times he tells me not to worry—it still scares me. I was totally dumbfounded at the moment and I couldn't dwell on it when he's pulling me out of the room. I shook my head and I quickly regretted it when agony coursed through my head. We stepped out of the room and he releases me, giving me one last look before he walked towards the staircase leading downstairs.

I braced myself against the wall walking to a door near the slide glass doors to a large balcony. It took me a moment without falling over—or my head tilting and sending sharp pain through me—to get close enough to it. I twisted the knob opening the door to see it's a closet of sorts; it was sort of big with tall boxes and a few suitcases. I closed the door behind me and used my hands to guide me.

I nearly tripped over something I wasn't so sure what it was, I kept on until I found myself touching the tall boxes I saw earlier. I used the box to lead me behind it and I felt the wall at the palm of my hand; I slid down shifting until my back met the wall and I brought my knees up to my chest. I don't know what I was thinking drinking so much—all because I got angry, I got worried and Neil was being an ass.

He didn't understand how I felt knowing that he could end up hurt or worse—dead. The longer I stayed here hiding the more I was able to wake up from the phase of grogginess, then I remembered what happened. My hand slapped onto my mouth in shock and embarrassment; I kissed Neil! Under all the drunken stupor, the emotions swelling my chest, and the rampant thoughts I couldn't stop myself.

The memories a bit blurry other than the kiss I can miraculously recall and knowing how stupid I am, I probably said something I shouldn't. What did I say? My thoughts came to a halt when gunshots sliced through the air causing me to jump at the loud bang. I slumped against the wall, praying Neil wasn't hurt. I hated this, I really did but I didn't want to leave Neil alone.

I miss my mother, my father, my brother, and my sister. Another part of me doesn't want to go back, that's only because I'm an idiot. Going back home to pretend everything was okay, fake a smile on my face, say the words they want to hear and that's it. With Neil is different, I don't have to pretend, I don't have to say I'm okay when I know I'm not because I know he knows already, and I don't tell him the words he wants to hear from me. He told me himself—he doesn't want to hear the same thing I tell everyone else, seeing it is enough for him to know.

The fire of a gun didn't dwindle. One after another followed from downstairs; I was helpless at this point. I couldn't help Neil even if I wanted to. The notion of shooting a weapon and killing someone makes me nauseous. Taking someone's life doesn't make me different from those villainous people who do it for fun. I'm contradicting myself again—I admit that it was exciting, watching the jeep blow up and topple over.