NEIL M. [12]

Matt's fingers were trembling.

His breathing shallow with a serene posture as he forced himself to focus on the bloody gun wound without throwing up. His completion was sickly pale and I knew it pained him to see me like this. A rag stuffed into my mouth muffling the agonizing shouts that tore out of my throat every time his fingers forcefully and clumsily went into my thigh trying to take out the bullet.

An occasional blinding light flashes over my eyes with my muscles twitching and tensing, I've gone through this many times but it doesn't make it any less painful. He would flinch once in a while biting his lip really hard as he took in shaky breaths. With my mouth stuffed with a rag I couldn't say anything and even if it wasn't, I'd be too busy screaming my lungs out. It felt life hours when Matt finally got the bullet out of my thigh.

He sniffles softly dropping the piece of metal onto the counter staring at the blood on his fingers; they didn't stop trembling. My head was light headed, body screaming in exhaustion but the look on Matt's face was more than enough to have me pulling the rag from my mouth and placed it over his hands to block the view. His blue eyes were in a daze, squeezing my chest painfully; despite saying these are just feelings I can't help feeling them.

"Matt," I called out his name gently placing a hand on his shoulder to snap his out of his trance and comfort him. "I'm okay. Hey, look at me. Look at me Matt." My voice was husky and low, my brain barely processing the air entering my lungs. It was hard for me to focus properly but for his sake I had to keep him together. I had to get him out of here as soon as possible.

After painful long moments he finally looks at me, stilled. My hand went higher to the side of his neck, thumb caressing his jawline, "I'm okay, you did good. But we have to leave, we can't stay here anymore than we already had."

He blinks slowly and nods swallowing thickly, "I...Wh-What do you need me to do?" His voice croaked.

I thought over what I was going to do next and after what that guy told me I am more afraid than I thought I could possibly be. "The usual. Guns, food, water. Change your clothes, cover your face." His blue eyes were wide, frightened. He didn't question me, "But...But your leg-"

"I'll take care of it," I interrupted. He stares at me for a moment and slowly nods; I remove my hand from the side of his neck observing his movements. The first thing he did was drop the rag onto the counter I was sitting on and disappeared around the corner—I waited.

I listened carefully when the wood creaked under Matt's weight as he ascended the set of stairs. I glanced at my leg as I fished into my pocket, the first thing I did was dial Frank. "I know you aren't calling me to say 'hi'. What is it?"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the man, opening the lid of the first aid kit. "They found us again. I have something planned but I need you to meet us at a different location." I sounded awful, nearly dying but I had to solve this one way or another. I cleared my throat slowly pushing myself off the counter; as soon as both feet met the floor a jolt of agony went through my injured leg causing me to let out a loud groan.

"Are you hurt? You sound like you're in pain."

"I'm fine. It's only a flesh wound." I assured. It wasn't deep but it didn't mean it wasn't hurting, "Are you bringing that kid with you again? You know what you should do? Drop him near a Police station. He's too much trouble." I frowned, clutching my phone in agitation and exhaustion.

"No! I'm not doing that. What the hell has gotten into you anyway? You've been saying shit like that for a while now, do you know something I don't? If you do then please share." I snapped. I wasn't in the mood for anything, I was taken off guard twice. I didn't expect us to be found and truthfully it's starting to get to me how they manage to do it without the tracking device I found in Matt's wallet.