Prologue to The Marked

Running. That's all that was coursing through Alfred's mind as the scarf billowed against his neck. He had learned to be careful the day he turned 16. He had become Marked. This made him an outcast to society. A fugitive. Luckily, There was a place in the middle of past-day Nebraska that used to be called Lake McConaughy. There was a large cabin on an island that lay in the middle of the vast lake. This was where Alfred lived with all the others.

In this small cabin, They had order and secrecy. The government know of their small hideout, and leave them alone. Every day, You get a specific job and certain duties. One day it may be to tend to one of the small farms, another day it may be to fish, or another it may be to find more of the Marked. The last one was always the riskiest. No one likes anyone who is Marked.

If you're Marked, That means you failed the placement test. When a member of the UCS, United Communist States, turns 16, They take their placement test to learn their place in society. If you fail to meet any expectation, You become Marked. If you pass, you learn everything about your life. They tell you things like your death age, your soulmate, your job, and how many kids you are to have. If you do not, You get a permanent tattoo. The tattoo of a coyote. The coyote comes from the Natives of long ago, who would use the coyote to symbolise a cunning trickster. Anyone who becomes Marked earns their tattoo of a coyote, with intricate designs. The tattoo usually consists of the coyote's face adorned with thistles outlining it's jaw. This was the tattoo that made the Marked special.

Whenever you went out in public, security guards would check your wrist for the tattoo. Everyone in the cabin has learned how to be stealthy, as we have to steal to survive. No one that is Marked has ever seen hope, love, romance, or anything positive. One day that may change, or we can continue to live in fear of Kim Jong-Un, our new leader after we lost WW3. No one has ever brought a clean human being into The Cabin of the Marked.

But I, Alfred F. Jones, was going to change that.

(I hope you enjoyed this prologue. I will most likely also write a one shot on this AU, but I would be oh so glad if you checked out the book. Thank you and goodbye!)