Chapter Two: Date Night

Lane held up his promise and stayed in bed with me all day while the boys were with Emily and probably every other women in the pack. I loved having him all to myself. Even though the boys were good we hadn’t had a full day to ourselves though Lane insisted I rest.

                “But Lane I don’t need any more rest,” I said as I slid onto this lap. “I’m restless.”

                He chuckled. “You’re always restless if you’re not fighting.”

                “What about a run?” I jumped out of bed and moved to get dressed. “Come on Lane please. I haven’t ran since…” I thought about the last time I got to have a proper run. “Well I’m not sure that’s how long it’s been. Please.”

                Lane thought it over. “Alright.”

                “Really?” I stopped putting on my pants and jumped back onto the bed. “Thank you.”

                He tucked my hair behind my ear. “Shifting might be good for you. I know how much you love your wolf.” He kissed me and got up to get dressed.

                We stood on the porch and I was trying not to jump up and down. Ever since I was pregnant I couldn’t shift and it drove me mad. I used to wake up every morning and go running for an hour. And after I had the boys I was always with them that I couldn’t go run and after everything that happened Lane didn’t like me being out of his sights and I didn’t exactly want to be. After losing him I nearly broke. I had turned off my emotions and turned my back on the pack to track down the man that took my pup and Lane away from me.

                Rail had gone too far. It was one thing to mess with my pack but what he did hurt so badly. The only reason I slept sound at night was because I knew he was trapped in a pit of wolfsbane. Death was too good for him. Now he would forever be in pain till it either consumed him or he just died.

                “You ready?” Lane asked.

                Smiling I nodded and jumped off the porch and shifted. My bones popped and I felt my body shift. It was as if all my worries washed away and I was running into the woods with Lane behind me. Of course he let me lead, he always did.

                I looked back at him and snorted. He came up to my level and brushed his nose against my ear saying how beautiful I was. I was proud of my wolf. She was pure white, a rare color. Most wolves were a mix of browns and blacks. Lane was all black and to anyone else would scare the crap out of them but he was my mate.

                As we ran I felt my body relax more and the familiar routine made my wolf happy. This was where we were supposed to be, not behind a desk or with people but here in the middle of the woods. But my heart nagged, my boys. As much as I loved the woods I would always put my boys first. It was why it had taken me half a year to run.

                “Can we go back and get them?” I asked after about an hour. “I know we’re not supposed to get them till six but I want my boys back.”

                Lane chuckled. “Yes I would like to get them back too.”

                “Well someone looks refreshed,” Emily said as we came into the house. She had both boys in a play pin in the kitchen while she was as usual cooking.

                “I feel better,” I replied as I picked up Ray. He giggled and waved his little hands up at me. Lane got Brent and I smiled over at them. To think barely a year ago I had just met Lane and had tried to run from him as a mate. He wanted to give me everything I ever wanted but that meant leaving my pack and I couldn’t but I couldn’t fight him too. Now everything was perfect. We had our sons and we had each other. Nothing would ever change that again.