Chapter 5 - Things Have Changed

Aunt Yumi finishes eating. "Thanks for the cupcake! It was delicious."

"No problem!" I say.

"Are you trying to butter me up for something?" she asks.

"No." I shake my head. "...Maybe? I don't know!"

"Sounds like something's got you flustered," Aunt Yumi says.

I sigh. "Lexi."

"Lexi, the wonderful girlfriend?"

I shake my head. "Well, she used to be..."

"Ah. She didn't take you back?" Aunt Yumi asks.

"She's seeing someone else now..." I say.

"Come here." Aunt Yumi holds out her arms and I come in for a hug. "It's okay to be sad," she tells me. "Seeing an ex move on can be hard. Want to talk about it?"

"Yes," I say. "I need your advice."

"That's what aunts were made for," she says.

I explain everything: seeing how Beverly was mean to Aurora, Beverly joining our conversation and trying to make me look bad, me apologizing to Lexi, everything.

I take a deep breath. "It really hurt, but I think I handled it well."

"And I agree!" Aunt Yumi smiles. "Recognizing your mistake, and apologizing, was very mature. More mature than some adults manage to be. I'm also glad you didn't respond to Lexi's girlfriend baiting you."

I manage a thin smile. I guess it went OK, all things considered. But then I remember Beverly's behavior. "What about Lexi's new relationship, though? I don't think she should be with Beverly! She deserves better!"

Aunt Yumi purses her lips. "That may be true. Beverly certainly wasn't kind to you. I'd be very embarrassed if a girl I raised behaved like that! But it's not up for you to choose who Lexi gets to date. Maybe Beverly will become a better person. Maybe she won't. And it's possible that you've only seen Beverly on a bad day, and not on a good day."

I shift on my feet. For all I know, Beverly doesn't normally act like this.

"Whether dating her is a mistake or not, Lexi has to figure that out," Aunt Yumi continues. "Don't push her to conclusions she isn't ready for. You focus on your relationship with Lexi, not Lexi's relationship with Beverly. And if that means politely avoiding Beverly... I wouldn't blame you."

I take a deep breath. My aunt is right, just like she usually is. "Thanks, Aunt Yumi. I think I want to write a note... I know what I want to say to Lexi."

"Good!" Aunt Yumi says. "In that case, you should go write. And after that, homework!"

I roll my eyes. "Ugh, I know..."

Later that evening, I read over my note to Lexi one more time, then hit "print." Homework, check. Note to Lexi, check.

I plop down on my bed with my phone and message my friend Will.

"You were right, Will. Lexi HAS changed. The biggest change being a new girlfriend. I cried about it today, but now I feel better. I guess I kind of expected this. Too bad I don't have you around to help scope out some cute people. I did make a friend, like you said! Here's what she looks like..."