Chapter 19 - Ambush

I walk through the crowd at the end of the day, headed to my locker. That Communication 2 class really surprised me. I've never seen a classroom set up like that. It was... nice.

Not going to lie: I also like sitting next to Adam. A grin spreads over my face. He wants to go on another date this weekend! I wonder where we'll go...

I find my locker, do the combination, and swing it open.

And I stare into the face of a murderous clown.

I shriek. The picture looks like it came from one of my worst nightmares, where the clown-monster chases me down the maze of endless hallways with its claws held out to choke me... My heart feels like it wants to hurl itself out of my chest.

 My heart feels like it wants to hurl itself out of my chest

[A sketch of Tara jumping back in shock and fear. Lexi looks at her with a confused or worried expression. Beverly, turned mostly away, fails to contain her amusement.]

People stare. Lexi stares. Beverly laughs.

I slam my locker shut, face burning hot, running down the hall, pushing past strangers in backpacks, racing away from that place...

... I see the girls' bathroom and dash inside. I hurry into a stall and slide the bolt shut.

My breath comes out in heaves and sobs. My face burns like a furnace and I realize tears have left streaks down my face. One picture, and I'm left like a panicked little girl. My nose is running, so I wipe it again and again between labored breaths. How can I get so scared by just a picture? It's not fair! It's not fair!

I try to slow my breathing, my shoulders shaking as I exhale. I can't believe this. I panicked in front of everyone. In front of my ex girlfriend. In front of Beverly.

They're going to talk about it, aren't they? People are going to tell their friends. I won't just be the girl who lost her mom and disappeared for a year, but the girl who lost her mom and panicked because someone stuck a clown picture in her locker. They're going to think I'm a freak. A freak who runs away whenever things get hard.

No, Tara, no. Stop. You're spiraling.

I keep trying to take deeper breaths. This is a big school. Most of them don't know me by name. It'll probably blow over by next week. Nobody thinks about me as much as I do. I'm doing my best, and that's what my old therapist said was important.

I'm doing my best. Nobody cares that much.

I'm doing my best.

I'm a smart person. I can figure this out. I never told anybody at school about my clown fear at school. Except the girls at the sleepover. But no, I don't think they'd do something like this. I don't know them that well, but they all seemed sweet.

I blow my nose. I'm breathing slower now.

Whoever did this would have had to have access to my locker. I only shared the combination with my aunts in case of emergency, and they know better than to share it. That's two mysteries.