Chapter 3

The Raven and the Wraith
Chapter 3

Tad chewed his breakfast thoughtfully, trying to suppress a grin but failing badly. I found myself irritated in a way I wasn't used to being irritated.

Tad seemed to be amused or amazed at nearly everything I did or said, and it was surprisingly irritating to me. And I was annoyed at myself for even caring what he thought, as I had never given much attention to what others thought of me before now.

I wondered if it was because I knew I would be in close proximity to him, and his entire caravan who all followed his lead in many ways beyond just traveling with him, for the next month. Being noticed by others in any way was typically flat dangerous when you lived on the streets, so it grated on me that I was somehow an object of intense speculation here. I would rather be invisible. It was so much more freeing than this.

"I know you don't want to talk about magic. But the simple facts get in the way of what you want, now. You told me you noticed the power flaring around the royal garden for the last few weeks. You told me you somehow slipped safely past all the countless, ancient wards that surround that garden, just because you were curious. You told me Genevieve was attacked by two enemies, who were apparently strong enough to overpower Genevieve, the royal magicians daughter, yet you were able to save her."

He said, leaning back with a contended sigh as he finished his breakfast. When I said nothing, he continued on.

"And then you found me! The only traveling caravan who deals exclusively in magical items in this entire region!"

I shrugged, annoyed at his little list of "facts", knowing that it was likely to annoy him. I wanted to return the favor, even if it was petty.

Tad sat up, leaning towards me, and I fought my instincts to grab one of my knives, due to his proximity.

"Let's not forget your skill with your knives. Or your acrobatics. Or your hunting skill."

I growled, turning to face him. "Ok! Ok already! What do you want to talk about?"

"I'm just a merchant. And us merchants, we're pretty simple people, in the end. Our lives revolve around one question: How can I make a profit here?"

I just stared at him. I knew he wanted me to engage, I knew he wanted me to open up, but I was not about to tell this curious, quick-witted merchant anything I didn't have to. I already knew exactly how much of "just" a merchant he really was, so I had already resolved not to give him any more than the bare minimum of information.

"So if you are any sort of magician, you should tell me now." He said.

I leaned back against the wagon side rail, lifting one knee and resting a forearm on it, shifting until I was comfortable. Then I looked him in the eye.

"I'm not a magic user. I've never been trained. I grew up on the streets, remember?"

Tad narrowed his eyes at me. "Growing up on the streets, not being trained, does in no way mean you're not capable of magic."

I picked at an imaginary speck of dirt on my hand, then looked back up at him.

"You ever hear what happens to those with magic who aren't trained?"

"Yes, of course. And yet here you are. Sixteen years old, untrained, yet a powerful magician."

I looked at him like he had a ropeworm crawling out of his nose.

"I'm suddenly a powerful magician, now? You hit your head this morning or something?"

"How else should I understand you? My point here is that you're not very forthcoming with any information. And when a person is unique, which you most definitely are, AND they don't provide any information, people begin to speculate. When I speculate, it's based on my knowledge and background. But when people have no knowledge and no background in an area, their speculation is based most often on fears. And fears give birth to all manner of wild ideas, with very few anywhere near reality. Do you understand?"