Chapter 20

The Wraith
Chapter 20

I gripped two big handfuls of the cats sleek fur and hauled myself up onto its back, grinning like a three year old with his very own cake. This was going to be fun!

"The other, peculiar people of this world call you Rahvin, correct?" The cats telepathic voice seemed amused by my name.

"Yes. Is there something wrong with my name?" I asked, ignoring the implication that I was also a peculiar person. I couldn't exactly argue that.

"Oh no. It's an interestingly perfect name for you. My name is Kavak. In the Original Tongue it means Star Runner."

"Why is my name "interestingly perfect" for me? What does it mean?"

Kavak shook his head. "Only you can discover your True Name. Once you do, you will understand your given name and how it's connected to you."

I could tell by his tone that this was all he would say on the matter. But I had so many questions, and he seemed willing to at least answer some of them.

"What is a Werecat? Is that like a Werewolf?"

Kavak began to prowl forward, now that I was firmly seated on his back, and I laughed aloud at the sensation. I felt like I was riding the clouds, he moved so smoothly. I had rode horses a few times and they pummeled you with their bouncing, trouncing, drumbeat-like motion, so this amazing smoothness was a wonderful contrast.

"In the Original Tongue, Were means "to Shift". Only Werecats can truly Shift, although I have heard some realms call creatures that can change by the name Were."

I was very happy that Kavak seemed so talkative, and looked forward to the journey back to the city, looking forward to finally learning more about these Werecats.

"What is the name of the big black Werecat?"

I felt a ripple of tension flow through Kavak, and when his voice moved through my mind, it carried along with it an undercurrent of dire warning.

"If he has not told you, then you do not need to know."

I scowled at that. I had never responded well to being told what I needed and didn't need to know. Who was someone else to make that decision for me? And being told this over something as simple as a name seemed just spiteful and petty.

"Not telling someone your name doesn't add to your mystique, it only adds an element of insecurity. And weakness." I growled.

Kavak stopped, turning his head to stare back at me.

"You would dare tell the King of Werecats he is weak? Shall I call him so you can say this directly to him?"

I gulped, feeling the blood drain out of my face, feeling my heart squeeze painfully in my chest. I hadn't been expecting THAT!

"Ah, well...no, don't call him. I..." I trailed off in confusion.

"Werecats rarely give out their name. Those that know their name are then linked to them, for as long as they live. The King has not given any other creature his name in a thousand of your human years."

"Oh." I managed. I wasn't particularly impressed with my skillful use of language right then, but I was still trying to understand it all.

Kavak continued slinking through the woods and I was quiet for a bit as I thought about all I had learned. I wondered if I was now linked with Kavak, now that he had given me his name.

Then my stomach growled so long and loud that Kavak stopped and looked back at me, his ears forward and his eyes bright.

"Has it been a while since you've eaten?"