Chapter 2

*Vik's Point of View*

On Thursday morning, I woke up to the sound of the birds chirping outside, though I couldn't see them – due to the closed curtains. Rolling over in bed, I glanced at the alarm clock, 11:52. Well looks like I'm not going to school today. Getting up, and slowly walking over to the wardrobe, I searched for something to wear. Settling on a pair of grey joggers, and a simple black t-shirt, I pulled them on, spraying myself with deorderant, and running my hands through my thick hair. Exiting my room, I headed for the bathroom, to do my business and brush my teeth.

Once my teeth had been brushed, and I had done my business, I headed downstairs, grabbing my dark blue hoodie from the coatrack, and my phone from the living room table, as well as my keys and wallet, before heading to the front door, slipping into my shoes before leaving the house – locking the door behind myself. As I walked down the path, I scrolled through my phone, checking Facebook, Twitter, and my texts. Seeing that my parents were going to be out of town for the next couple of months, and that they were sorry for not letting me know sooner. As I looked at my texts I noticed two from Landon, and several from Lewis. Opening Landon's first, I gave a shuddering breath. The first text was a picture, one of Landon, kissing Lachlan's cheek, while the taller boy blushed brightly. I felt my heart shatter at the picture. The message below it read: 'I guess we both fell for the same boy, I'm so sorry, Little Vik.'

I wanted to scream, and cry, and hide from the world. But I knew that I needed to be supportive of my friend. He would need that support if he was going to be dating that jock. So, quickly I typed a reply to him, saying that I was fine with it, and wishing him well. I then checked the texts from Lewis.

'Vik! Wait up!' I heard a voice call from behind me, startling me slightly, but nevertheless I turned around and faced the owner of the voice. It was Lewis.

'What are you doing, Lewis? Shouldn't you be at school?' I asked, trying to get an answer out of the boy, but not getting anything more than a sigh and a shake of the head.

'I needed to take the week off, been too stressed with everything...' Lewis replied, though he sounded distant. Like I did once upon a time, when I was madly in love with Lachlan.

'Oh, okay...what are you doing just now, then?' I asked, continuing to walk towards the mall. Hoping to get some food, and get some new clothes as well.

'I'm going to the mall to meet Simon, what about you?' Lewis asked, turning to look at me slightly, a soft smile on his lips.

'Oh, I'm just going to get some food...and possibly some new clothes...' I replied with a little giggle, hoping that my cheerfulness sounded real. And hoping that he hadn't tried to come to me the past couple of days. Because then he'd know. He'd know how hard it has been lately for me.

'Cool, well I've gotta get going, I might see you around then...' Lewis said, waving as he ran off ahead of me. Obviously, he was late to meet up with Simon.

The rest of the walk to the mall, I tried to keep my mind blank. I tried to think of nothing more than getting some new clothes, but as I approached the mall, I realised that I didn't want to go inside and that I wasn't very hungry. So, instead, I turned and headed towards a little park that I knew about. It wasn't too far from the mall, but it was quieter, and I could let it all out once more, without feeling other people's eyes judging me, as I walked around.

It was a cloudy day, and normally that wouldn't lead to much else, but there were some dark clouds hanging over head. Meaning that there was a strong chance of rain. A strong chance that the weather was going to match my mood. And that I would end up completely drenched by the rain, and by my tears. Upon, arriving at the small park, I found that it was deserted, as it always had been. And that meant that I could sit on one of the swings, that were once a bright red, with a dark blue seat – but now, with age and weathering had turned several shades lighter. I came here, once upon a time, and was happy, letting someone push me on a swing, making me soar into the air and plummet back into their arms, but now if I were to soar into the air, I would plummet to the ground, and for some reason that felt very appealing to me.