☾° › three.

Sᴇᴘᴛᴇᴍʙᴇʀ 29ᵗʰ˒ 1991.

Zᴇɴᴀ Pʜᴏᴇɴɪx.

I scanned the books in the library, looking for any and everyone that had to do with the occult. I had books stacked in my arms on demons, vampires and everything in between. Even though I could confidently say I knew what DeVante was, until he confirmed my suspicions I needed to be ready for anything. "What the fuck is a nephilim?" I asked under my breath, pulling the book from the shelf.

"That's a fallen angel." I heard behind me, causing me to squeal and drop every book in my hand, I turned around quickly and I became face to face with one of my childhood best friends, Lesane before hitting him with the smaller book I had in my hand. His infectious laugh began to fill up the small space we were in. And though I normally found his amusement contagious, my heart was still racing from being terrified.

"Don't do that. What is wrong with you? Don't you know there's crazy people out there?" I asked as we both bent down to pick up my books, his eyebrows raised as he gathered them. "Apparently there's demons, vampires and witches oh my." He joked, standing up and handing the books back over to me. I was slightly embarrassed at my current collection of books. It had to look like I was some crazy girl who had an obsession with serial killers and demonic possession, but honestly, I was just someone trying to figure out as much as she could about a supernatural crush she had. Which was much better.

"Thanks, Lesane." I said quickly, starting to walk off from him.

"What I tell you about calling me that? Call me Tupac!" He yelled and I only waved him off. I didn't need him asking too many questions about the choice of literature I chose. But when I heard quick footsteps behind me I knew that ship had sailed. "Ay wait up! You in that occult studies class? I wanted to get in but it closed so fuckin' fast. Weird ass people. Probably gonna be fuckin' morticians or sum'."

"Lesane, how you gonna call the people weird and say you wanted to be in the class in the same breath. That's contradictory my beautiful black brotha'." I placed my hand on his shoulder and playfully rubbed it as I came upon one of the wooden tables in the middle of the library, placing my stack of books on top and pulling out the chair to sit down. He followed suit and pulled a chair from under the table, only to turn it around so he could sit backwards in it.

For as long as I could remember, I had a small crush on Lesane. He had smooth almond colored skin that was complimented by the prettiest set of wide eyes that reminded me of a small child or a puppy, his eyelashes were long and luxurious and he could light up a room with his smile. I didn't think no other man could be as beautiful until I met DeVante. They both belonged in art museums if you ask me.