Chapter 1

I head to school with a newfound pep in my step. The pieces of my life are finally coming together. I was adopted a week ago. I walk into the classroom and take my seat.

Five minutes later, Franny walks in with a smile on her face. She skips to my desk. "Hi, Louis."

"Hi, Franny." I blush. Franny sits in the seat next to me as class starts.

When it's time for lunch, I hop out of my seat and dart for the door. A hand grabs my arm stopping me outside the door.

"Louis, I want to show you something." Franny pulls my arm walking us to the choir room. I have never been in here, it's completely empty.

"No one comes in here, music is so unappreciated." Franny huffs. She walks over to the door and closes it. I gulp and my eyes go wide.

"Why did you close the door?" I ask.

"I don't want anyone to tell on us." She reaches into her backpack and pulls out Frankie. "My star pupil. I want to show you what we have done." I just nod.

Franny pulls a baton out of her bag and sets Frankie on the table. As she raises her hand to conduct, the door swings open. Franny spins around quickly.

"What are you two doing?" Josh asks. Josh is the school bully and I avoid him at all cost.

"I'm showing Frankie's new song to Louis. You need to leave." Franny puts her hand on her hip.

"Franny." I pull her to the side. "Don't start anything. He will kill us." She scoffs.

"You don't believe her frog can sing, do you Dork Boy?" Josh takes a step toward me. I feel threatened, but I won't let him make fun of Franny.

"Of course, I do. Frogs have more musical ability than people." I smile at Franny and she glows with happiness.

"Louis is right." Franny pipes.

"I get it. Dork Boy likes Crazy Girl." Josh teases. My face goes red with embarassment.

"Shut up." I warn.

"Franny and Louis sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-" I cut him off.

"I don't like Franny. I never have and I never will. Leave me alone." I snap. Josh grabs the front of my shirt pulling me off the ground.

"Did you just give me attitude, Dork Boy?" I stay very quiet and avoid eye contact. He slams me against the wall. A teacher walks in, probably the choir teacher, and gasps loudly.

"Boys, we have a zero tolerance policy on violence. To the principal's office. Now. Franny put Frankie away or I'm sending you with them." The man points out his door. Josh puts me down and heads out the door.

I start toward the door and look at Franny. Franny catches my gaze, but looks away.

I sit in the office waiting to be picked up. When my parents pick me up, they don't say anything.

They send me straight to my room. I sit at my desk and listen to them.

"It's not his fault." My mom's whispers. "He just needs to adjust to everything."

"Maybe we rushed things a little." I feel my stomach tighten at Dad's words.

"What do you mean?" Mom asks.

"We just adopted him. We don't know him and we don't know his situation in full. We should have given him time to adjust to us." Dad says. I feel tear in my eyes.

"You don't mean that. You know he loves it here and loves us, just as much as we love him. Time would have done nothing. We need to ask him what happened." Mom says.

"Or maybe we should just let it go this time. This can be his warning." Dad suggests. Then it gets quiet. I assume she agrees with him.

I bang my head on the desk. Then I hear a rustling behind me. I turn around and see nothing. I get up and walk to my backpack. I unzip it and see Frankie.

"How did you get in my bag?" I ask, picking him up. "I need to get you home." I sneak out the front door and walk to Franny's. I knock on the door and she answers.

"Louis?" Franny looks at me with a confused face.

"Franny, I found Frankie in my bag. I don't known how he got in there, but I just wanted to bring him home." I hold Frankie out to her and she scoops him up. "Bad Frankie." She points a stern finger at him.

"Thanks, Louis." She smiles, but it doesn't reach her eyes.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing." She says. I would believe her, if I couldn't see the hurt in her eyes.

"Please don't lie to me. I want to help you." I plead catching her eye.

"You said you didn't like me and you never will." Franny's eyes fill with tears.

"I didn't mean it like that, we're friends and I really care about you." I feel panic rise in me.

"I don't know if I want to be just friends with you, Louis." Franny rubs her eyes before the tears can fall.

"Best friends?" I suggest.

"I need some time, Louis. I'll see you at school tomorrow." Franny closes the door. I dont tell her that she wont see me, because it's not important. I was suspended for fighting, but we talked it down to a day since Josh started it. Stupid Josh.

I walk back to my house and sneak up to my room. I sit at my desk and think about Franny.

A knock on my door causes me to jolt out of my seat. "Hi, honey." My mom comes up. "You never came down to eat." She puts a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on my desk.

"Sorry, mom." I smile at her. I know it's fake, but she doesn't seem to notice. She nods and walks back toward the door.

"Good night, honey. See you tomorrow." Mom walks out the door leaving me alone.

I slam my head on the desk. Then I hear a rustle. "Frankie, that better not be you." I mutter, standing up.

"Cockoooo, cuckooo." Wilbur does a summer sault and hides behind my desk.

"Wilbur?" I stare at him in confusion.

"Louis." Wilbur hugs me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"I told you that I would keep coming back until you get it right. It's only been a week and you already did something." Wilbur says.

"What? I fixed everything." I frown.

"Something is wrong." Wilbur starts to pace.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Mom and Dad. They're different." Wilbur starts. "They fight a lot and they keep slamming doors. What happened with you and mom?"

I sigh and look at him with a nervous look. "I messed up."

"You messed up? What did you do?" Wilbur panics.

"I told her that I didn't like her, then she said she didn't know if she wanted to be friends." I rush out.

"You what?!" Wilbur's eyes grow wide.

"I know. I know." I groan loudly.

"We have to fix this....You can....you..umm..ask her on a date." Wilbur demands.

"No way." I retort.

"Hey, I'm thirteen, you're twelve. I'm older. You have to listen to me." Wilbur raises his eyebrows.

"I'm your dad. You have to listen to me." I reply. "Also you are from the future, so I'm older."

"Exactly, you're my dad. Which means you need to work things out. I don't want to live with you and mom fighting all the time." Wilbur turns his back to me.

"Hey, it's going to be okay. I'll fix this. I will ask Franny out." I put my hand on his shoulder. He turns to face me.

"Let's save the future.....Again." Wilbur cheers. "I'll see you in the morning. We need a plan to fix what you screwed up."

"The future of our family happiness depends on it." I mumble. No pressure.