Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"This is nice," Rogue said as she looked around the cabin. It wasn't big, just three rooms, but it was homey. Aside from space cleared around it, the cabin was surrounded by forest and Rogue felt like she was miles away from civilization.

Remy smiled, pleased that she was happy. "Make yourself at home. I'm going to go charge up the generator."

Ever since Logan's visit, Rogue had been preoccupied but now that Remy had her alone, with no distractions, he hoped she'd find the answers that she sought.

He found it a little hard to believe that she'd been an X-Man. While they weren't public knowledge, the X-Men were well known among his kind. They were the Special Forces of the mutant world, keeping the peace and making sure that situations didn't get too out of hand. Of course that made them as hated by some as they were loved by others.

Remy had been indifferent to them. He was glad there was someone like the X-Men to keep order, but he didn't really give it too much thought. Plus, even if he had ever thought of joining, he was sure they had no time for a thief. The X-Men were the good guys and good guys didn't hire criminals.

Rogue on the other hand…Remy smiled to himself, yeah, he could see Rogue with them. She was strong, protective and when pissed off, fierce. He sure as hell wouldn't want to face her in a real fight.

Remy realised what all this meant, of course. If she chose to return to her old life, he'd be alone again. The fact that she'd used hotel stationary for her letter told him that she wanted to be found, like Logan had suggested. Maybe he was wrong and it was just an oversight on her part, but the feeling remained.

He finished charging up the batteries and went to get the groceries from the car.

He was sure he that could he talk her into staying with him, he already had a dozen different arguments he could offer her, but his heart sank as he realised he could never present her with those arguments. For the first time in Remy's life, he was putting someone else before himself. He should feel proud that he wanted what was best for her, he should feel good about himself and his decision.

Instead, all he felt was desolate.

He wouldn't stand in Rogue's way but he also didn't know how he'd carry on without her.

Bobby was hurting, that much was clear for anyone to see. Mostly everyone avoided him because the few times any of them had tried to talk to him, Bobby had snapped at them. But Storm couldn't ignore things any longer.

This was her school now, and the cloud hanging over it was Bobby's doing. He was making the atmosphere tense, and that wasn't ideal when you teaching people to control their mutant powers.

"Bobby, a word." Storm beckoned him into her office.

Reluctantly Bobby changed direction and headed into her office.

"I know what you're going to say," he told her as she closed the door.

"Good, then this should be easy."

Bobby sat down and glared at her.

"Snap out of it!" she told him. "Yes, it hurts, yes it's wrong but damn it, Bobby, that's life."

He hadn't been expecting that. "You wouldn't understand."

"You'd be surprised how much I understand, Bobby, but you can't go around shouting at students just because your feelings are hurt."

Tears shone in his eyes and Storm perched on the desk in front of him. She didn't like being cruel but she knew that it was the best way to get him to open up.