Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Rogue stumbled and cried out as her mind was invaded with images of Remy.

Logan managed to catch her before she hit the floor. "Kid?" The others stopped and turned back to them.

Rogue put her hands to her temples and tried to block the mental invasion. She was seeing Essex's laboratory from Mina's perspective, seeing Remy being tortured.

"You have to hurry. Leave me. Go, quickly."

Logan hesitated, he didn't want to leave her while she was in pain.

"Please," she begged. "I can see what he's doing to Remy."

Logan nodded and set her gently on the ground. "You heard the lady," he told the others. "Get movin'."

Professor Xavier had taught Rogue to create rooms in her mind where she could store the psyches of people that she had touched, and she tried the same technique on this new mental invader. She had limited success, but it enabled her to struggle to her feet and stumble slowly after the others.

She made slow progress until in her mind, she saw Mina's projection of the X-Men crashing through the wall into the laboratory, and suddenly the mental invasion stopped. The psychic's concentration must have been broken.

Rogue broke into a run but by the time she reached the warehouse where Essex carried out his experiments, the fight was already in full swing. Logan and Storm were tag teaming Essex, while Bobby and Peter freed the prisoners.

Rogue raised her hand and the metal doors to the cages flew off. She went to Remy's cage and helped him out. He looked shocked to see her.

Rogue didn't know what to say to him, so she simply helped him make his way outside.

Bobby and Peter joined them moments later with the other mutants and they all waited there, listening to the battle rage inside.

Rogue realised that she didn't even know what Essex's powers were and was about to go back inside to help, when everything suddenly fell silent.

Storm was the first out, looking battered but pleased. "We locked him in one of his own cells. We'll call the authorities to deal with him."

"What will they do with him?" One of the freed mutants asked.

"That depends on how much evidence is in there, and whether or not you want to testify against him." Storm explained.

"He taped everything," Mina said. "They've got plenty of evidence without us."

Storm nodded. "Okay then. Let's get you back to the school where we can check you over."

Remy and Rogue didn't follow and Storm turned back to them.

"We need some time," Rogue said.

Storm nodded. "Call when you're ready to come home, I'll send the jet."

Rogue nodded. "Thanks."

Slowly and silently, they made their way back to Remy's apartment and once inside, Rogue hunted for medical supplies. She then sat Remy on the sofa and began to tend his burns from the electric shocks. She didn't make eye contact.

"Rogue?"

She didn't answer. She didn't know what to say.

"Please say something." 

"I knew I couldnt take him on alone. Getting help was the only way." She still couldnt look him in the eye.

"I didn't think you were coming back."