Chapter 8

Back to Kate's POV-

'Um, no. Thanks though' the third boy I've tried flirting with today responded awkwardly, quickly walking away. I sighed. Great, I've only got one and every else has got, like, six! Maybe Anna was right, they all were. I'm good at everything apart from the subjects of boys and dating, and acting girly. I started walking sadly down the corridor towards my first class, art, when I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around, expecting to see Jason smiling down at me. It wasn't. It was a short girl who I've never seen before. She had long, brown hair, hazel eyes, and pretty much everything else was pink. Pink top, pink skirt, pink heels, pink purse, pink bangles, pink everything! Talk about a pink-o-holic. She was chewing gum, probably pink too, very loudly and blowing bubbles every so often. She grinned at me.

'I heard you're trying to impress boys now' she said in a very high, sassy voice. I glared at her.

'How the hell did you know?' I asked. She rolled her eyes.

'Please, it doesn't take a genius to hear the cries of a wanna be popular' she sneered. I glared at her. She smiled mockingly. I sighed. 

'What d'you want anyway?' She raised an eyebrow and shrugged. 

'Just wanna even the playing field, that's all'. This time I raised an eyebrow. 'I heard who you're up against, so I'm offering you my services' she continued, extending her hand. I eyed her suspiciously, taking her hand and shaking it slowly. 'I'm Scarlet by the way'. I nodded.

'Kate' I introduced myself. She smiled. 

'You free after school?' She asked. I nodded.

'Yeah, why?' She shrugged.

'Just a bit of a make over' she whispered, winked, twirled on her heal and walked away. I shuddered. Make overs!? My worst nightmear's become a reality!

AFTER SCHOOL AT THE MALL

I stared at the shop in front of me, glancing at Scarlet, and back to the shop.

'You've got to be kidding me' I moaned. She grinned.

'C'mon! It'll be fun!' She urged, taking me by the hand and pulling me inside. I pulled back reluctantly, cursed under my breath, and made my way uncertainly into the nail parlor. Scarlet ran up to the lady at the counter, french kissing, then talking and giggling with each other. 'Natalie' she said seriously. 'We have a major crises'. She looked over at me. 'Think you can handle it?' Natalie thought for a moment, eyeing me up and down. She patted Scarlet on the shoulder reassuringly. 

'I'll probably be able to'. Scarlet squealed and pulled me to one of the salon chairs, pushed me into it,  picked a nail colour for me and placed it in front of me. I laughed. 

'You can't be serious!' I said, nodding at the small jar filled with sparkly, light pink liquid. She looked at me sternly. 

'What's wrong with pink? This is their most popular colour' she said matter-of-factually, sitting down in the chair next to me. I rolled my eyes and Natalie sat down in front of me, grabbed my hand, and observed it, her brow furrowed. 

'When's the last time you've had a manicure?' She asked, still looking at my hand. 

'A what?' I asked, wondering what the new word meant. Natalie stared at Scarlet, a "is she serious?" look plastered on her gobsmacked expression. Scarlet sighed then nodded. Natalie tutted. 

'You're in worse shape than I thought, Hun' she muttered. After half an hour of cutting, scraping and torturing my hands, Natalie and I stepped outside the parlor, my hands shoved in my pockets. 

'How much do I owe your expertise?' Scarlet asked, grabbing her purse out of her hand bag. Natalie pushed it back in.

'It was an emergency' she said softly. 'It's on the house. Think of it as a friendly favor'. Scarlet smiled, hugging Natalie quickly. 

'I owe you. We'll go shopping on Saturday so that I an make it up to you'. Natalie returned the smile.

'Aw, thanks darling'. Scarlet waved bye and ran over to me and led me to our next shop. We stopped outside a shop full of pinks, purples, whites, golds and silvers. I felt like puking.

'I'm so going to die today' I muttered. Scarlet pulled me into the expensive clothes shop and ran up to the shop keeper, repeating her greetings and explained the "serious matter" that was at hand. Obviously another one of Scarlet's many friends. She and the shop keeper started piling clothes onto my arms, explaining how these colours would "suit me". In the end I tried on fifty-seven outfits, and, yes, I was counting. Out of that, we bought twenty-two. I don't see how Scarlet could of afforded it without the discount her friend gave her. 

We ended up being at the mall for three hours and, by the time we were done, my arms were full of bags full of disgusting junk that I was supposed to wear. Skirts, dresses, flowing tops, bangles, necklaces, sunglasses, which I guess were the only thing we bought that I actually liked, earrings, shoes, handbags, purses, rings, makeup, there's too much to name! We struggled back to her house, where she and her mum started teaching me the "right way" to do and wash my hair and how to best apply makeup. After those lectures, I learned about manners and posture, which meant at the end of the day I was exhausted!

'Hell, that's what today was. Hell'. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

Sorry about the wait guys!! I'll try update sooner next time! I've just been soooooo busy at school for the past two weeks and haven't had time to update. I was meaning to on Monday but then I had netball,  same with Tuesday, and on Wednesday I had tennis so I only got time to today :/ Anyway please comment and let me know what you think! 

Emma :P