Home | Davy Prentiss Jr.

this was requested by Finnick_Sirius_Dobby and, while it technically takes places in book 2, it does not follow the events nor does it spoil anything. this is another story that is just a one shot all it's own.

//

You grabbed an armful of bandages and left the house, a group of nurses your age around you. Dust off the dirt path got kicked up and dirtied your recently cleaned white gown.

"Didn't you just take a round the town?" one of the girls your age, Melissa, said, eyeing you up and down.

You nodded.

"Then why do you keep coming?"

You didn't answer. The worst part of being separated from the men was being separated from Davy, your boyfriend. He often met you halfway in secret, giving you both time and a way to talk without anyone hearing. His father would be beyond disappointed in him.

Entering the town, your group dispersed, each heading to a different home to deliver first aid. You took a route that was towards the barn filled with Spackle.

Davy was waiting by the side of it, digging to toe of his boot in some dirt. When he saw you, his eyes lit up, his arms opening as your legs picked up speed. You held your breath until you were against him, your arms around his waist, his hands against the small of your back.

Home.

You smiled.

"I missed you," he murmured, rocking from side to side, his cheek sinking down against your head. "I know it's only been a few days, but it felt longer." He pulled back, hands slipping up to the tops of your arms, squeezing the flesh there and rubbing gently. "Is something wrong, ___?"

You then noticed that you wouldn't look at him. Feeling ashamed, you tilted your head down further, feeling his hands slip down to yours and intertwine your fingers. He squeezed them.

"___?"

"I... am leaving, Davy," you said, thinking of the Answer. You had recently joined after wanting to separate from the men of the town for so long. "I wasn't supposed to tell you and I shouldn't now, but I can't just leave you to wonder if something bad happened to me."

"What do you mean?" he asked, voice small. "You... are leaving me?" He tilted his head, disbelief marking his features. "Me?"

Tears filled your eyes. How long had you been with Davy? Years, it felt like, even if it hadn't been that long.

"I-I'm sorry," you replied, voice cracking. "I know how horrible this is-"

He ripped himself from you, dropping your hands like they burned him. You stood still, hands still out, face contorting in pain as he turned away, head dropping, fists tightening.

"I-I could tell on you. I could! I could tell that you are leaving and my father will put you right back in that house and he will make sure you never get out-"

"We both know what your father will do to me if he finds out," you said weakly.

He stared at you.

"If you want me to be killed instead of free, Davy, then please," you said.

He shook his head. "I couldn't hurt you," he said. He looked sick at the thought. His fingers went to his head and brushed through his hair. Then, he dropped his hand and looked at you in defeat. His shoulders slumped. "Why do you want to leave me?"

"I don't," you replied. "But there's a difference between living and just surviving, and this definitely ain't living. We live in a world, Davy, where I can't even see you without fear of being killed or you being punished. I can't risk that. You can't risk that. I won't ask you to run away because I know what your father means to you. But I can't stay."

"I don't want to lose you," he breathed, and his Noise was screaming it.

WHY IS SHE LEAVING ME WHY IS SHE LEAVING ME I DON'T WANT TO LOSE HER I DON'T WANT TO LOSE HER YER NOTHING YER NOTHING THIS IS ALL BECAUSE OF YOU-

"Davy," you gasped, stepping forward and throwing your arms around him. He let you, sobs taking over his Noise as he held you. "Davy, stop."

"I love you," he cried. "You have no idea how much I love and need you-"

"I know," you said, pulling back. You cupped your hands around his face and tilted your head forward, your sweaty forehead meeting his. "I love you, Davy Prentiss, Jr. I love you more than I can say-" You shut your eyes.

"Then don't leave me," he pleaded. His Noise was heart wrenching, pictures of his newfound friend, Todd Hewitt, thinking of his Viola and how much he needed and wanted and missed her-

"Davy," you said.

"I love you," he said again.

"If the world was more forgiving, we could stay," you whispered. You kissed him swiftly on the lips, afraid that if you lingered too much, you would want to stay.

"Don't," he pleaded, his voice weak.

You kissed him again and then put your lips close to his ear. You couldn't tell him about the Answer. His Noise wouldn't be able to be controlled by him, especially around his father.

"There's so much I want to tell you," you whispered, "and I can't-"

"___?"

"I can't-"

"Tell me," he pleaded, "tell me. You can tell me anything and I swear, I'll fix it. I'll do anything. I'll make the world better for you, ___, I promise. Just stay-"

"I can't," you cried.

"Please," he said.

"If all of this works out in the end, we will see each other," you breathed. "Don't let this change the way you see me. Remember how much I love you."

He looked at you. "What?"

"I gotta go," you said. You stroked his face and pulled back. "I have to go, Davy. I'm sorry."

He nodded.

Listening to his Noise while you walked away made it feel like your heart was breaking twice.

His pain was white hot and burned. It left a deep ache and feeling of complete emptiness. It was like being homesick-

DON'T GO PLEASE DON'T GO and I LOVE YOU and THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME and WHAT IS THE POINT TO ANYTHING AT ALL-

and bursts of homesickness and grief and horror and realization all pounded in his mind and in yours. You felt the exact same as he did as you walked away from your home and towards an unseen war.

//

people that deserved better = davy prentiss jr