Chapter 13

"Get up."

I opened my eyes, squinting at first, then widening them to the user of the rough voice. It was a guard, quite regular, but he had come to get me.

This could only mean one thing.

Stage One of my plan had succeeded.

My body hummed with excitement and apprehension (more apprehension, though), as I silently followed my guard back to the room which my mother pretended was mine if needed. Like before the Ceremony.

He left me at the door.

I walked in quietly. Luckily, there was no one inside. The carpet rubbed against my bare feet as I stepped to the armchair.

My brain continued giving misgivings about my plan. My willpower countered them all.

My fingers tapped nervously on the armrest of my chair, much as I tried to still them. I continued to go through what I would do and what I would say.

My attention snapped to the door as it opened. I held my breath, and released it, as Hazel and her crew walked in.

Maple had succeeded.

"Princess." Hazel nodded. I inclined my head. They silently proceeded to get me ready, after that. They dressed me in a yellow gown, bright as the sun, and slid a golden necklace round my neck, clasped a cuff round my wrist and put dangling beads on my ears.

Finally, they placed a golden circlet round my head, my hair in a long braid.

Hazel finally faced me, her golden-brown eyes cold. "You're ready, Princess."

She and her workers bowed and left the room.

I was left alone.

I bit my lip, the glossy juice on them getting spoiled. I stood there, trying to breath deeply though my stomach was churning.

If had to admit to myself that a small, selfish part of me was worried about what my punishment would be after the events of my plan. No doubt they would be severe, even if my plan didn't work.

But I had to do it.

My eyes shot to the door again as there was a sharp knock on the door.

I took another deep breath, calming myself

"Come in." I called, as steadily as I could manage.

A guard pushed open the door. "I've come to escort you." His armor was not silver like regular guards, but had two blue streaks on either side.

A Council guard.

Good, because I was going to the Council.