Chapter 49

"Are you okay?"

We spoke at the same time. Then I half-laughed half-sighed in relief. I pulled away and looked at Maple. She was covered in dirt, and a few cuts, but I didn't see anything critical. Then I looked down at her dress. It was white, and had possibly had lace once upon a time.

It was a wedding dress. Her wedding dress.

I gripped her tighter. "Maple, what happened?" She sighed. "That is a very long story. What happened to you?" I shook my head. "Another long story. You first."

She sighed. "Well, as you probably know, Forreston wanted to marry me- I have no idea why. So...they locked me in a room for...oh, I don't know how long. Until the wedding. Then some elves came in, put me in this gown, and...and El, I was so scared! I don't know what would have happened if it wasn't for Arden."

I looked to the side and saw Aiden and Arden, talking. Aiden must have been awake, too, when they came.

"So then?" I asked, tearing my eyes off of them, quickly turning back to her. "So...Arden jumped in. Through the window. He used some vines to get himself up there. I didn't know you could do that, but he's been teaching me. He said he could rescue me, and I didn't really trust him at first, of course. But I was fine with anybody if it meant getting out of there. I figured nothing could be worse than me marrying Forreston, even if it meant I'd be Queen."

I sucked in a breath. With everything going on, I'd almost forgotten that he was going to be crowned after my supposed death. He was King now. The thought made me sick. Forreston the King of our Forest? Though I really should have noticed when Ivy showed up without her crown, in retrospect.

"He's King now, El." I nodded quickly. "Y-Yeah. I remember. Um, so then?" Maple sighed. "Then he said you were with them. He didn't have proof, but I believed him. And...I left with him. By the time they discovered I was missing, it was too late. We were so far, and then, they did catch up later. But Arden fought them off with the rebels' magic. It was amazing, El."

I almost smiled. "Yeah, I know that feeling. So...then what?" "Well, we basically walked till we got here. Now your turn. El, what were you thinking? Do you know how worried I was, when I thought you were dead? You just disappeared! We were going to run, together! How could you just go like that!"

She didn't say, but I could hear the reproach in her voice. How could I leave her alone?

Guilty.

I exhaled. "Mape, I'm so sorry. Truly. I never knew Ivy and Forreston would do that." She shook her head. "Does anyone ever know what your mom will do?" I stiffened.

She realized quickly. "Oh, El, I didn't mean it like that. You're nothing like her." I nodded. "It's okay. After all, she is my mother. I can't deny that. We're related...through blood." Maple's breath caught. "I'm sorry, Elvina." "It's fine." I shook my head.

She nodded. "What about you? What happened, how did you escape? Arden told me his dad saved you, but then we got the message that the camp was attacked!"

"Yeah. Arden's dad saved me, he fought Ivy, and I came to live with them. Ivy attacked the camp and, oh Maple, it was my fault. So many elves got hurt because of me." She shook her head. "Elvina, how could she even know where you were?"

"I don't know! But...she did. And then, Aiden and I, we were together, he led me here. That's it." She sighed with relief. "Thank Nalvia we're all here." "And alive." I added, because for me, that was something to be grateful for. "And alive." She echoed.

"So, are you done talking or what?" Aiden said. We turned to find the twins looking at us, arms around each other. In the darkness, it was hard to tell them apart. "You were talking, too." I pointed out. "Not nearly as long as you two." He countered.

"Okay! Let's not start arguing now. That would be a great welcome to us. We just got here." Arden said, gesturing at Maple and himself.

Maple yawned, trying to hide it.

"Come on, let's sleep." Arden said, just as I was going to say the same thing. Maple nodded. I made her share my sleeping pallet, and as we drifted off to sleep, her arm around me and mine around her, I felt completely safe.