Chapter 82

We weren't anywhere near done.

It was exhausting work , and I had new respect for Maple by late afternoon. We'd been allowed to take a break for a quick lunch of bread, cheese and a salad, during which Lotus told us a bit about her history.

She'd been abandoned at the same orphanage where Vanilla was living, about a month or two after her. They'd basically been best friends since then. And they'd come to work at the palace together.

"Okay, guys, back to work." Lotus said. We cleaned up and went back. Maple and I were almost done with our bookshelf, and we would move on to the one on the left when we were done. Lotus and Vanilla were still finishing the largest bookshelf, but they were making progress. When they were done, Lotus and Vanilla would clean the window. Than we'd sweep the floor and clean the tables and chairs. Of course, that was easier said than done.

We were reaching the higher rows of books, which was getting risky, because there was a high chance of falling, but I wasn't particularly afraid of heights, and I knew Maple wouldn't let me fall, just as I wouldn't let her fall.

I leaned over and brushed the duster over the books in front of me, covering my mouth with my hand as I did so. There wasn't that much dust, given this section had been cleaned about a week ago, but there was still enough dust to make me cough.

I moved my ladder a bit to the right just as Maple moved hers to the left. We started from the corners on the same row and moved towards the middle. And then we moved on to the next row and started from the middle, moving to the corners. And again and again and again.

But given the length and width of the bookshelves, this was long and tiring work. Lotus and Vanilla kept up a steady chatter, and even Maple spoke sometimes. Of course, I didn't. But at least it wasn't boring. The sunlight coming in from the window had dimmed slightly by the time Maple and I moved on to the next bookshelf.

We were never going to get this done. Vanilla and Lotus were already on the window. Lotus was cleaning the left side, and Vanilla was on the right. We were working as fast as possible, but we were on the bottom rows when we heard a sudden yelp. I whirled around to see Lotus leaning backwards, and her feet leaving the ladder.

My heart seized, but Vanilla thrust her hand out, and a towering pillar of dirt shot up and caught Lotus. She moved upwards on the dirt, until she stood on the ladder again. Vanilla's shoulders relaxed, and Maple spoke first. Her voice was shaky. "Are you okay?"

To my surprise, Lotus didn't sound shaky at all. "Yeah, I'm good. Don't worry, this has happened more times than there are leaves on a tree. You'll get used to it." Vanilla said sternly, "You need to be more careful."

While she'd reacted so quickly, all the color had drained out of Vanilla's delicate face. "It's okay. I have you." Lotus said quietly. Vanilla bit her lip. "Okay, back to work." While I didn't understand this exchange, I understood her concern. I'd feel the same way about Maple.

We turned back, working quickly, and it was dark when we finished. Vanilla and Lotus were almost done dusting the tables and chairs, and we helped them finish. Then we swept the floor. And finally, we were done.

It had been a long day, and it had helped me realize how much Maple must have worked to be able to meet me so often. I did feel relieved by the thought that the other two maids would come help us soon, however unpleasant they might be.

When we left the library, Lotus went one way after hugging Vanilla, Maple and me. We headed back to our room. Lotus was nice. On hearing of my supposed muteness, she hadn't reacted much, but had just accepted it. I saw how she was good for Vanilla, who was so quiet and shy but became animated and open around her.

When walking back, we passed a passage where the guards that were lining the walls. One of them whistled at us. I glanced at him, surprised. Maple ignored it, but Vanilla shot the guard an exasperated glance.

When we passed, I looked at Maple with a silent question. She seemed to remember that we were pretending to be new maids and whispered to Vanilla, "Is that normal?" Vanilla rolled her eyes. "Don't pay attention to them. All of the guards are honorable, but a couple are a bit naughtier. They don't really mean anything, though. Just ignore them."

By then, we'd reached our room. Vanilla pushed the door open. We found the other six seated in a circle on the ground with some food in the middle. They all looked up as we came in, and shifted a bit to make room for us. That felt good, and we sat down. Linnea handed me a wrap filled with vegetables with a smile.

"You're later than usual, Illa." Sakura said. Vanilla shrugged. "Begonia and Celosia were sick." "Good riddance." Tansy said. "It meant more work for them." Leilani pointed out. "So, how was your first day?" Poppy asked, changing the subject.

I smiled and Maple answered. "Pretty good." "That Aster whistled at them." Vanilla said. "Yarrow Aster? He's the absolute worst." Jessamine snorted. "Jess, I saw your sister today." Linnea said. Jessamine smiled. "How is she, Linn?"

"She's good, said to tell you she's doing great." Linnea answered. Jessamine looked happy. We ate with all the girls telling random tidbits from their day, sometimes talking over each other but seeming to not care. The room was filled with happy conversation.

Finally Maple asked, "Won't Mrs. Anise complain about all the noise?" Tansy grinned. "The dragon's in her private dungeon. She's probably sleeping. She won't hear a thing." We started laughing. "Tansy!" Sakura scolded, but she was smiling as well. "Just be careful when Mrs. Anise is awake. She's really strict. She'll punish us for the smallest mistake." Sakura warned, turning to us. Maple and I nodded, understanding the warning.

We continued talking, when Sakura said, "Hey, guess what! I got a letter from home. Chervil- that's my second youngest brother- topped his class! He's doing really good in school, and someone offered him a scholarship!" She sounded overjoyed, and everyone seemed really happy, and for a moment, we all congratulated her.

Finally we had to go to sleep, because tomorrow would be another long day. Well, Maple and I would have to wake up at midnight to meet the boys in a room Maple knew.

But I fell asleep happily, soothed by the sound of the other girls' even breaths.