Chapter 39

Hours later, it stopped snowing.

By then I had pretty much given up fighting frostbite. When Aiden announced that the sun was shining unexpectedly, it took me two tries to just stand up.

But I managed to join him at the entrance, finally. He picked up the bag and his bow and arrows. "Let's go."

I nodded, but managed only a step in the snow before I stumbled.

He caught me.

Aiden pulled me upright. "Where're you're shoes?" "I left them at the lake!" He rolled his eyes. "And how exactly were you planning to walk, Princess?" "On my feet, Rebel." I glared.

If he could call me by my title, I could call him by his.

"On bare feet. In snow. At least rebels are much more prepared than princesses." he scoffed. "Well, I didn't know we would be trekking through snow!" I shot back. "Yeah, well, neither did I. But at least I'm more prepared. Because I'm a rebel."

I glared at him, having no response to this.

Without warning, he shoved his hands under my knees and back and picked me up, like a groom carries his bride (not that I'd personally seen a wedding before, except in photographs of my mother and father).

A yelp escaped my lips. "What are you doing?" I spluttered. He glanced down at me amusedly. "Well, we have to go fast, don't we? And there's no way you're walking."

His face was way too close to mine. And I could see that despite his bravado, his cheeks and nose were pink with cold.

I hoped he'd put the red in my cheeks down to cold, too.

He glanced away and started trudging through the snow. It was very deep, and I didn't think my weight was helping him.

I felt warmer in his arms, and the freeze in my feet didn't bother me much, strangely. I was almost relaxed in the soft rocking motion, and his strong hands supporting me.

For almost an hour he carried me, and I tried to not stare at his face. Out of the corner of my eye, a dark shape flitted through the trees.

"Aiden." I whispered harshly.

He glanced down. "What?" "There's someone here." I warned, trying to keep my voice as low as possible.

His expression turned serious, and he raised his head to look around. "Hang on, Elvina." He started to run, shaking me, but he didn't make it far.

We were stopped by a large wall of snow, and he tripped and I fell to the ground. The fall expelled all the air from my lungs and I gasped, catching my breath.

I stood up and gripped Aiden's hand. This could only mean one thing. His hand squeezed mine, once, trying to reassure me. I drew close to him as we waited for someone to show themselves.

We didn't wait long.

Her shape emerged from the trees, long hair whipping in the wind. Another five men revealed themselves from the trees around us.

We were surrounded.

I tensed at her high cackles. "What are you doing here?" I shouted. "Isn't it obvious?" she asked sarcastically, as if she was playing a game. "Ivy, leave us alone!"

"Oh no, darling. I will finish what I started. I will wipe all of the traces away. And you're the last piece." I didn't understand what she meant by that. "Leave her alone!" Aiden yelled suddenly.

Her eyes shot to him, and they narrowed. "Ah, is this his son?" Then her eyes fell to our entwined hands, widened, and her lips curled in a malicious grin. "Even better, Elvina. Let's make you watch first, eh?"

Aiden and I traded confused glances.

"I learnt something from your father, boy." she grinned.

With a flick of her hand, branches from the trees stretched out and grabbed him, tearing his hand away from mine and pulling him next to Ivy.

His eyes widened as he tried to shout something through the branches over his mouth.

I felt strong hands grip my arms.