Chapter 6: Rod's perspective

Well, at least she looked like she was handling it well. Rod ruffled his unruly hair and sighed. He had known quite a few people who had not handled it so well. But to be honest, she did look a lot worse than she was before the accident happened. Guilt began to slowly creep in his stomach.

   Before that, she had been so strong, so confident... it had been him that was insecure. He had envied her for that. That was one of the reasons why he had done those things to her. But now that wasn't the time to think of the past. He had to move fast.  Rod looked about. There were a few chairs set to his left, for visitors and to his right, a table with a fresh vase of flowers. He was in deep thought when suddenly, he heard the sound of a cart rolling its way towards him. Behind that, he could hear the clicks and clacks of the nurse's high heels. 

 He slipped into a room, not checking to see whether it was empty or not. A few seconds later, he heard the nurse with her tray full of IV tubes pass by. 

 When she was gone, he slipped back out. He tiptoed down the hall, checking the names as he walked past. Cain...Cave....there it was! 

 Quietly, looking around, he turned the knob and entered the room. It was dark in the room, the only light source in the window facing the street. In the middle of the room, there came a sound of light breathing. Rod silently hoped that he wasn't waking the occupant in the room and tiptoed towards the nightstand to switch the light on.

  When the light was on, he looked at the bed. The man was lying face up, his eyes tightly shut. At least until he heard Rod's footsteps and the creak of the door. His eyes flew open and he croaked, "Rod?" 

  Rod sighed with relief. He was awake. "Charlie!" He said, cracking a smile. 

"You received my message, then." Charlie said, ruffling his hair.

   Rod walked over to the window, thinking. Late last night, he had received a phone call from Charlie telling him to come over. He had apparently some important news to him. Rod nodded.

   Charlie sighed. "I am dying, Rod," he said, bluntly. 

   Rod turned around so quickly it could have been comical if it wasn't a serious situation. "What?!?" he exclaimed softly. "Have you-"

  "No, I haven't but I think she suspects it." Charlie replied. "But that wasn't the reason, I asked you to come here."

  Rod sighed. "Does it have anything to do with her?" he said, gruffly. He knew she'd never in a million years accept his help. Not after what he had done to her last year. 

 "I need you to take care of her. Promise, Rod?" Charlie was looking at him, with undisguised hope. 

  Unfortunately, Rod wanted to help Charlie because of the favor he had done him a few years back. So, of course, he agreed.  

  "Oh and tell her about the tree, will you?" Charlie said, lying back into his sheets, looking pained. 

  "Yeah, but didn't your dad..." Rod began, but Charlie cut him off. 

  "Dad. Dad. Dad.He probably didn't even explain the dangers. He just wanted her to dream. Bah! You tell her, Rod." Charlie said, grimacing. 

   Rod again nodded, looking worriedly at Charlie. 

 "Do you need a nurse?" he asked quietly but Charlie waved it away. 

  "Go now, Rod. I need to sleep." Charlie muttered.

  Slowly, Charlie closed his eyes and fell asleep. Rod tiptoed back out of the room and closed it without a creak. He turned to go, taking a final glance at the name located beside the door. Charles Caverly... 

  He sighed. Maybe he shouldn't have agreed to help Charlie. After all, it would be hard, very hard. Kaia could be stubborn, and grief could do crazy things to somebody. Whatever, it was worth a shot. He stepped into the cold, dark night and felt the breeze flutter against his skin. Taking a moment to enjoy the night, he stopped and closed his eyes. 

 Then he headed off into the night.

A/N: Hey all! Hope you enjoy this chapter from the perspective of Rod! Don't forget to comment and vote!See you all later!-Wiseheart12