Chapter One

Harry sighs, frowning at his reflection in the mirror. His fingers run repeatedly through his hair, trying his best to get some resemblance of a style with his curls, but they refuse to cooperate with him.

He gives up after a minute, backing away from the mirror. He grabs his backpack on the way out of his room, heading downstairs. His best friend, Niall Horan, is at his kitchen table, his mouth stuffed full of pancake. His mother is at the refrigerator, pouring orange juice in four cups; one for herself, one for Harry, one for Niall, and one for Gemma, Harry's older sister. They both turn to the doorway when they hear Harry enter, his mum giving him a warm smile. "Make yourself  a plate, love. You need to be getting to school soon, or else you boys will be late."

"Can't we just skip school today?" Niall asks. Harry spares his friend a glance, seeing his friend's mouth in a perfect pout. Right before he stuffs another forkful of pancake in his mouth. Harry rolls his eyes, grabbing a plate. He plants a kiss to Anne's cheek as he passes by, stealing his glass of juice.

Anne rolls her eyes fondly at Niall's antics, not even bothering to respond to the foolish question. Harry takes a seat in the chair across from Niall, copying his friend's lead and putting a forkful of the pancake in his mouth. He chases it down with a sip of orange juice.

The food is devoured in no time, Niall even going back for a second plate. "Alright, you boys better be heading out now, or you're gonna be late to your first class." Anne reminds them, subtly ushering Niall out of the chair.

"See you later, mum. I love you." Harry bids his mother goodbye, grabbing Niall's arm when a pale hand darts out towards an apple. "You don't even like apples." The curly haired boy sighs, dragging him out of the kitchen.

"But I'm hungry," Niall moans, glancing forlonly back at the kitchen table.

Harry doesn't bother wasting his time by answering, just keeps leading his friend out of the house.

"Can we stop at a bakery on the way to school?"

-

The school day is long for both friends and when the last bell finally rings, they meet up at Harry's locker. "Can I stay the night at your house tonight? My mom's working late and I really don't want to have to listen to my brother call his girlfriend all night."

"I don't care, Ni. You still have clothes over from last time, unless you want to swing by your house and get some other ones." Harry answers, barely managing to dodge a girl chasing another girl through the crowds.

"Nah, I'll make do with those. Can we stop at that bakery again though? I'm craving a donut." Niall asks his friend, puckering his bottom lip out as he lets his gaze fall on the boy.

"Sure, Ni." Harry sighs, way too fondly for his own liking.

-

"C'mon, H. Your mum isn't here right now, and I really want to go back out. We haven't went out in the woods in years." Niall begs his friend, looking between the emerald eyed boy and the woods on the other side of the glass.

"Niall, I don't know." Harry responds, his teeth sinking in his bottom lip. He nervously eyes the treeline, groaning slightly. He knows his friend is going to talk him into it. Really he knows there's no point in even arguing with him, but he's going too. For a moment, anyways.

"H, come on." Niall groans loudly, falling on Harry's bed, the wind leaving his lungs when his stomach collides with the mattress. He props his elbow up on the bed, leaning his chin in the palms of his hands. His blue eyes bore in Harry's, until the green eyed boy finally nods with a sigh escaping his lips. "Let's go. Let me get a sweater on first."