IV. Money talks; Power Silences

"Are you sure?" Nathan asked, a little surprised that I agreed to come to his place.

I eyed him. "Why? Ayaw mo ba?"

"No, no," he said, waiving his hands. "Just a little surprised, that's all," he continued. There was a hint of happiness on his face, but I refused to think that he's capable of anything other than being rotten.

"I'm not worried, Pierce. I can take care of myself," I said with a lingering smile. All of his exes were practically princesses with guards tailing their every movement. Well, I'm different. Bata pa lang ako, tinuruan na ako na dapat marunong akong protektahan ang sarili ko. Otherwise, I wouldn't last in this world.

While on our way up, he asked me what I preferred to eat while watching movies. He's very attentive, but even though he's been nothing but pleasant since our meeting, tuwing tinitignan ko siya, pagkamatay ni Molly ang palagi kong naaala.

"Pizza?" he asked.

"It's fine."

"Burger?" he asked again.

"Anything's fine, really. I'm not picky when it comes to food," I said, smiling. All of his past girlfriends were high maintenance—coming from the fact that they all hailed from prominent families. Pretty sure naninibago si Nathan sa akin na okay lang kahit ano.

What he's used to, I'd go the other way. That's the way to reel him in.

When we stopped by the 39th floor, agad kong nakita iyong unit niya. Ilang beses akong tumitingin doon—wondering how I'd be able to get in. And now, he's the one who's willing to let me in.

"Let me," he said, and then stood in front of the door and began to punch in the code. Hindi ko alam kung sinadya niya ba na pumwesto sa lugar kung saan hindi ko talaga nakikita kung ano iyong nilalagay niya. I couldn't act too obviously na tinitignan ko kung ano ang nilalagay. But I leaned a little, and saw that the last two digits were 09.

I didn't know if that would help much, pero hindi naman pwede na magpahalata ako masyado.

"Let's go," he said when the door opened after placing his thumb in front of the scanner. Seriously, how the fuck would I be able to get inside?

Pagpasok ko, agad kong pinaikot iyong mata ko. His unit was that of a typical bachelor pad. It's black with white accents. Walang masyadong naka-lagay sa dingding. But he had a tall shelf filled with law books.

"Thought I'd see a shelf dedicated to Grisham alone," I commented while I pretended to scan his law books.

He laughed, a little. "Well, yeah. Novels are inside my room. I prefer to read to fall asleep," he said.

"Too bad..." I trailed.

"Take a seat first. I'll just order," sabi niya.

Naka-tayo siya habang naka-talikod sa akin. I was tempted to make a run to his room, but decided against it. It was the first time he invited me, and I didn't want it to be my last. Kung mamalasin ako na hindi ko malalaman iyong password niya, his invites were the only way para maka-pasok ako.

After placing his order, bumalik na siya na may hawak na bowl ng popcorn.

"Plain and cheese—didn't know what you prefer," he said.

"I prefer the plain one," I replied, then got the bowl from his hand. I grabbed a handful, and stuffed it in my mouth. I could feel him watching my every movement—like he was enticed with everything I do.