Chapter 1

Lupus Intus.

The wolf within.

  Winter has come to the forest again.

It’s frozen kiss turns each breath into crisp clouds that curl outward from my chapped lips. A thick layer of glistening snow has blanketed the forest floor and sticks to my boots.

Ice. The trees and various shrubbery are bare and draped in a thin veil of it.  Pint-sized pearls hang from the branches and bark that have replaced the brightly colored leaves of the warmer seasons. The forest is stripped of all life, causing each crunch of my boots in the snow to almost echo against the vast forest of trees.

The sun does little to warm the air, even though the canopy of leaves and branches that normally stretch across the sky and block out the it’s rays is now barren and exposed.

I shiver and pull my coat tighter against my body.

The frigid metal of my government issued collar does nothing to shield my neck from the bite of the almost arctic air. Tightening my winter mask against my face, I attempt to keep my already red nose from frosting over.

My ears twitch as I rub my gloved hands together,  my keen sense of hearing picking up small and careful footfalls heading my way.

A growl builds in my throat and a grin tugs at my lips. Glancing around, I search for the perfect spot to stash my belongs.

A few feet away is a tree branch high enough for me to tie up my bundle without any pesky critters getting into it.

Quietly and swiftly I remove my bundle and tie it to the branch. And then, just to be safe, I tie it to the tree as well.

My coat comes off first. Then my hat, gloves, face mask, and any other articles of clothing that clings to my thin form are stripped away and tucked into my bundle.

With a grand flourish, I remove the band that had pinned my dark cocoa and chestnut colored curls in place on my head. They tumble down onto my shoulders, framing my face and spilling over my ears.

The footsteps grow closer and I tighten the knot on my bundle, dropping my hairband into the pocket of my coat.

It's almost time.

My fangs lengthen and push against my bottom lip, aching to sink into something warm and alive. The wolf lurking inside of me pushes against my flesh and I step away from the tree, my tail fluffing out in anticipation and excitement.

The soft footfalls pound in my ears and my mouth waters.

Time to hunt.

With a low growl echoing in my throat, I pounce and shift.