Chapter 6

TWO MONTHS LATER...

   Y/N'S POV

  As I sat in my bedroom just chilling with Hero, I noticed something lying underneath my dresser.
  I got up and walked over to my dresser, then I crouched down picking up what looked like a note.

  After reading only two sentences, I dropped the note and my small cup of coffee on the floor. Hero barked up at me repeatedly.
  I shushed him and eventually got him to calm down. Once I made sure that Hero was actually calm, I picked up the note and threw it away.

  Since I decided to drop my small cup of coffee on the floor, I went ahead and cleaned up my mess, too.

  Afterwards, I said to Hero,"Good boy, but what am I gonna do?"

  The note startled me, obviously, since it has just been Hero and I so long. Every now and then, I wondered what it would have been like if Mom (Mrs. Right) was still alive today.
  I knew that she would have been disappointed in me for taking so many things from so many people in Gotham, but I'm trying to be better. I'm trying. It helped that I had Batman on my side.

  It really helped.

  I looked down at Hero, trying to distract myself from the note, and asked him,"Do you want to take a good ol' bath?"

  Hero barked up at me, and I smiled saying,"Go start the water."

  Hero ran into the bathroom, before I grabbed what I would need for his bath.

  As I moved to head into the bathroom, I thought I heard what sounded like someone's footsteps nearby.
  I turned around, but no one was there. I checked outside; however, no one was out there either.

  I closed the front door back and locked all the locks, then I practically bolted to the bathroom upstairs. Hero sat by the tub as the water filled the tub.
  Hero leaned on my leg, before I turned off the water. Hero jumped in splashing water everywhere, which made me laugh on the outside but sigh on the inside.

  I shook my head and began to bathe Hero, but someone stood behind me not even three seconds later. That someone was The Joker himself. 

  Joker laughed saying,"Hello, Ms. L/N! I believe that you have something of mine. Now, hand it over."

  I took a deep breath and leaned against the tub saying,"I...I have no idea what you're talking about, Joker. How do you know where I live?"

  Joker held his knife in his hand while he examined it, then he looked up at me saying,"I know everything, my dear. This is my city, of course. I expected a little bit more than this, Y/N, but I'm sure that you have a trick or two up your sleeve, right?"

  Joker scared me; especially, because I was aware of what he had done within these last few months alone. I heard about some bank robberies and all, but also about how Joker killed most of his own men after they double-crossed him.

  I didn't respond to Joker, before Hero charged at Joker. Frantically, I searched for something to fight Joker with, then I grabbed my curling iron that was sitting on top of my counter.
  I heard a shot go off and moved to see Hero lying on the floor. Immediately, I frowned and threw the curling iron at Joker, which made him scream in pain.

  I picked up Hero and laid him down in the nearest corner of my bedroom.

  I rubbed his head saying,"Hang in there for me, Hero. Hang in there for-AHH!!"

  Something cut the side of my arm, then the back of my right leg. I pushed past the pain. I needed to find a way to get out of here!
  I probably could take Joker, but I was more worried about Hero. He was all I had. There was no telling how much time he had left.

  I rushed over to my bag and threw a smoke pellet onto the ground, then I picked up Hero. I jumped out of the window and slid down the side of the house.
  My legs argued against my actions, given that I had just gotten cut on the back of my leg. I could feel the blood making its way down my leg and my arm, too, but I had to get Hero some help.

  I rushed to the only person who could help me at this hour. Leslie Thompkins. Luckily, her clinic was not too far away from my house.

  When I entered her clinic, Leslie was about to close it up for the night.

  I ran towards her while she said,"I'm sorry, Ms. L/N, but-"

  I pleaded to Leslie, tears forming in my eyes,"Please, Leslie. Hero, he got shot, and...and I can't lose him. Please. I'll pay you extra. Please."

  Leslie nodded and took Hero from me, before Leslie motioned for me to follow her.
  She led me into a room and put her hand up to close the door, but I noticed a familiar figure entering the room.

  Leslie laid Hero down on the table, then Batman noticed that I was here.

  Leslie said to him,"I'm sorry, Batman, but I must take care of this patient. She...umm..."

  Leslie looked over at me as if she needed clearance to talk about me to Batman.

  I laughed weakly, admitting to Leslie,"Leslie, it's all right. Batman and I aren't going to knock each other's heads off. We're actually a team. Yeah, he's my partner. Right, Batman?"

  I prayed that he would say "yes," because I took that stuff Batman said to me to heart about being a team. If he didn't mean it, then I would look so stupid in front of Leslie.

  Batman nodded and walked over to the right side of the table saying,"What can I do to help?"

  I smiled at Batman, but he did not hesitate to smile back at me. Batman kept Hero still as Leslie removed the bullet then placed it on the table near the door.
  I let out a sigh of relief, before Leslie and Batman were able to help Hero some more. I thought that they were done, but Leslie told me otherwise. However, Leslie promised me that they'd help Hero as quickly as they possibly could.

  Surprisingly, I ended up falling asleep in a chair. When I woke up, Hero was sitting in my lap. The second I sat up, Hero licked my face repeatedly.

  I smiled and said,"I love you, too. I love you, too. Give me a high five."

  I held up my hand, and Hero brought his paw up to the palm of my hand.

  Batman asked me,"Y/N, may I speak with you alone?"

  I nodded and gently placed Hero down on the ground. He rubbed his head against my leg, and Leslie smiled at him.

  I took a step forward to walk out of the room, but Hero was right behind me.

  I said,"No, stay."

  Hero sat down, but then he still tried to follow me out of the room. I wouldn't mind him coming with me, if I hadn't just caused him to get shot.
  I shook my head and walked back to my bag. I gave Hero his favorite ball, before I quickly made my way out of the room.

  I met Batman at the very end of the hallway, and he asked me,"Care to tell me what's going on?"

  Aww, now I was going to have to explain everything to Batman.