Chapter Two

"James, I am not joking with you, the zoo has a werewolf!" Melanie cried to her mate, slamming her hand down on his desk. James looked up from his computer and eyed his frustrated mate carefully. His spiky blonde hair was swept back and his grey eyes locked with hers. They darkened at the lack of respect she used, but he held his ego back. He clenched his angular jaw, before standing, towering over her smaller frame.

"Melanie, I can't go based on your words." James ordered, his voice bored.

"Then go and check yourself – the wolf they have is one of us."

James gently closed his computer. "This wolf... the famous Willow the Wolf of Silver Creek Zoo, you believe is a werewolf?"

"I know she is! She was bigger than average, glowing eyes James!"

James rubbed his temples, clenching his chiseled jaw. "You've only been a werewolf for a few years Mel... what was her scent."

Melanie pursed her plump lips, sheepish. "I... I didn't smell one, but-!"

"See?" James accused. "You don't know! She probably wasn't a she-wolf Mel, you don't understand yet."

The beautiful brunette leaned away from his desk, her green eyes darkening slightly. "Why do I get the feeling that this is more than about the trapped werewolf in the Zoo?"

James sighed, his eyes shadowing. "Mel..."

"Save it." She snapped. "I'll take this up higher if I have to. We need to get her out."

James raised an eyebrow to her. "Need to?"

Melanie scoffed. "Yes, it's a female; someone's pup, someone's mate, someone's sister. We need to get her out, or at least spread the word! It must be some wolf law, right?"

The Alpha sat back in his chair, contemplating what to do. Melanie's green eyes sparked as she glared at him. "You taught me, when you turned me, that female werewolves were treasured like pups. There's one in the zoo, I know it, and you're going back on your word?"

James' glowered at her, his throat rumbling slightly as he growled low. "I am the Alpha of the Silverwood Pack, and you are its Luna, Melanie. It's our duty to make sure that our wolves are protected."

The Luna raised her chin in defiance. "She could be one of ours."

James's eye twitched at his mate's determination. He slammed his hand on the phone and called up his second-in-command.

"Mitchell," He called to his Beta. "I need you to head to Silver Creek Zoo – Melanie is adamant that Willow the Wolf is actually a werewolf."

"At once, Alpha." He said with a disbelieving laugh, before James hung up on him. He ran a hand through his short blonde hair, sighing loudly.

"James..." Melanie started, her green eyes locking with him. Her eyes were shining with tears, and James knew exactly what she was thinking.

"Mel, it's okay–"

"No it's not..." Mel interrupted with a mere whisper. James's expression pained, and he stood, making his way around the desk and to his mate. He ran his hands down her arms in comfort.

"Mel, I love you so much, I can't explain it with words. I will always be happy to wait for when you're ready." James placed a kiss on her forehead.

Melanie smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck. "James, what are we going to do about the silver wolf?" She asked, emotion racking her core. No wolf deserved to be imprisoned, rogue or not. Before she was turned, before she met James, Melanie Woods was a former no-animal-abuse advocate. She hated zoos with a passion; she had brought those young werewolves to the zoo today to show them what humanity was really like.

James sighed. "I don't know. If Mitchell labels her as a werewolf, and one of ours, then we will help get her out. If she's a rogue, if she smells foul, then we leave her there."

Melanie's green eyes darkened with anger, but James stared her down. "You know the rules of a rogue. They left their packs, they left the rules, they left the community, and they stay there. You don't interfere with this."

Melanie leaned back from her mate, a look of disappointment in her eyes. "As you wish, Alpha." She growled, before she stormed out of the office.

~ Silver Creek Zoo ~

"Hello! Welcome to Silver Creek Zoo, my name is Gail and I'll be your guide!" The tour guide greeted Mitchell, whose face was bland. His Alpha gave him a job – he wasn't going to let a human get in the way.

"I'm not signing up to the tour." Mitchell spoke with no emotion. "I just want to know where Willow the Wolf is."

Gail reeled back. "I-Uh..." She stammered. "If you follow the wolf signs, it'll lead you to her enclosure. Do you have a connection with wolves?"

Mitchell couldn't stop the ever-knowing smile on his face. "Yes. They're my spirit animal."

Gail choked out a hiccupping laugh. "O-kay..." She stretched, joking. "Mine's a turtle, but whatever works!"

Mitchell frowned at her remark, taking a deep breath. Definitely human. He thought, before he walked away from the guide and followed the signs. Portrayed as a black wolf silhouette backed on a grey board, Beta Mitchell of the Silverwood Pack smiled as he stalked between the crowds of people. Tourists or locals passing through the large town of Silver Creek; Willow The Wolf was a huge attraction and the only source of income for the minor zoo. The Mayor, Matt Fallow, owned the zoo and a majority of other businesses – Beta Mitchell wondered how they'd get a werewolf out of his prized zoo, because Fallow was the man who dealt the upper hand in every trade.

Mitchell walked around the corner to the blooming display of the wolf enclosure – and his heart fractured. Fear pulsated through him as he gazed over the heads of the tourists, thanks to his large height, and locked eyes with Willow the Wolf.

A werewolf; without a doubt. Even though she had no scent to her, probably from being in a zoo for ten years, Willow was most definitely one of the supernatural. Mitchell raked his eyes over the wolf's stark silver fur as she moved through the brush, and the crowd gasping at her movements. Her blue eyes glowed as they locked onto his shock-still posture, and the Beta saw her nostrils flare. She knew what he was, as he knew what she was.

But Mitchell had also heard what happened ten years ago, to one of the most powerful packs... rumour was that they were killed off, all of them, by a pure silver wolf. Mitchell knew that silver wasn't a wolf colour, but looking at Willow the Wolf, those rumours set firm in his mind.

Mitchell, petrified at how powerful this wolf was to exterminate one of the most powerful packs in existence, edged closer to the silver wolf. She was standing tall, still, and staring him down. The large wolf was ridden with muscle, her strength no doubt profound, and her eyes were too full of emotion – they held a challenge.

Mitchell let his beast come forward briefly, feeling his dark brown eyes flare a subtle gold, and the she-wolf crouched into a defensive position. Her ears pinned back, and her lips curled upwards. The silver wolf let out a low snarl, encouraging the tourists around her to take pictures. The flash blinded them both.

Mitchell pushed his wolf back to the corners of his mind, and stumbled away from the silver wolf. That old instinct of flight or fight dug into his bones – so he ran out of the zoo, passing a bewildered zoo guide with too-curious eyes.