Chapter Ten

It's been a long time, I know.

Unfortunately, since November 2017 I've been swamped with work and I was sick with an infection during December, then I had food poisoning twice and a stomach bug in January, and while I was recovering in February I suddenly had a spout of migraines in March which haven't eased enough, and I'm still not at full health.

I've had a rather unlucky few months.

Despite it though, I'm determined to get my stories back up to date - I'm juggling this story, A Siren's Sacrifice, Typhoon, as well as writing Her Rise at the moment, and preparing the stories I've had in the archives of my brain into the Short Stories segment as to show you some more tales I'm prepared to write.

I've missed this. I've missed you guys.

Thank you for being patient, I've seen all your messages and comments, doing my best to recover and note what's to write next as well as take note of your suggestions (thanks for pointing out the plotholes in the old BCG guys, it helps with editing the new version).

I hope you enjoy this new chapter, and thank you for almost 600k reads on the original Behind Closed Gates (OHMYGOSH)!

This chapter was one of the biggest changes I had while editing; changing 'Bella's' first shift to Carter's. In the end, I think it's a better show of their characters, and it leads to a better scene later in the new version of the book.

Let me know what you think as always!

Thank you,

Libby Xx

~

Marie froze as she watched Jasper pale, and Carter heave his guts out on to the fresh grass that someone had probably mowed and cleaned up for the Royals arrival. He struggled, trying to carry his best friend in his arms as he pulled them towards the side of the packhouse - towards the woods.

Marie unstuck her feet from the ground and followed Jasper's swearing form as he dragged Carter away.

Carter...

She knew what that surge in her heart meant; knew about the bond that had snapped into place. At the moment nausea rolled in her belly racing after the two guys as she remembered her first shift.

Marie had been alone. In the woods. In the dead of night with nothing but her instincts.

She didn't want Carter to be alone either.

"He's shifting Bella!" Jasper shouted at her when he noticed her following.

"I can see that!" She snapped, seeing Carter's body curl into Jasper's in pain.

"So piss off so he can shift in peace!" Jasper stumbled when they were in the woods, dropping Carter mere metres from the treeline, but Carter was his side, wheezing. He groaned in pain when Jasper grabbed his waist to heave him back up; it only resulted in Carter heaving his stomach's contents again.

"I can't... I can't move." Carter coughed out. Jasper pinched the bridge of his nose, looking around chaotically. Marie slowly made her way around so she was in front of Carter, crouching to his level. She finally looked her old best friend in the eyes, staring into those soft, kind blue eyes that were now filled with pain and panic.

"Hey." She whispered, her heart thudding as she stared at him. Too many emotions were rolling through her body as she stared at him. "I'm not going anywhere."

Carter didn't have the energy to speak again as he groaned in pain, his arms buckling under his weight as he collapsed on the floor, vomiting at Marie's feet.