13| WAITING

Waiting

Waiting.

Two days had passed since ReRe had left the room.

"She's gone."

One girl huddled in the corner, her whispered message ringing through into our minds as she repeated her words.

"Shut up," Saint said.

I stared at the door.

Part of me debated going out and venturing to find ReRe.

I stroked the Moonstone within my hand, wondering if another option could be calling Jonaus and asking for his help in finding her.

Instead, I did nothing.

Instead I sat on the floor, surrounded by the King's finery as Oceane fidgeted next to me.

Another day passed before our unspoken question was answered.

The door opened, without warning, and ReRe was shoved inside.

Many of the girls screamed, running into the safety of the bathing room or hiding under the shadows of the corners.

The same guard that had taken ReRe before stood, grinning in the doorway. His eyes lingered upon Saint, before slamming our view of the hallway and darkness that lurked outside.

And then it was silent.

Except for ReRe.

"Arishia, please."

I don't know who spoke out in the terrified crowd, but one desperate plea was enough to make me step forward and approach the body upon the floor.

"ReRe?" I whispered the word, my voice coming out steady, but my mind trembling at what I would find.

Please Moon. Please Mother Asundra, anyone. Please.

There was no answer.

Instead a low moan captured the silence.

A moan of ecstasy.

"What's wrong with her?"

Saint approaches to stand by my side. Together we take another few steps towards the girl.

And then we see it.

A sight that has Saint gasping and me standing there in silent shock.

ReRe is upon the floor, her body slowly moving side to side, her eyes wild and mouth panting.

She is moaning.

Moaning in pure pleasure as her hands trail down her body, but at the same time- tears are coursing down her cheeks.

Another moan escapes her. She looks up, thrashing in an attempt to create some friction, and as a result, sees the set of eyes that are watching.

"Are you hurt?" I'm surprise Saint has the compassion to ask the question, but her eyes are serious as she steps closer. That's when I see what she is looking at.

Puncture marks.

I had been to busy looking at ReRe's face, that I had not taken the time to notice the rest of her body.

Bruises and dried blood caked her.

And holes.

Small holes, that showed clearly the puncture marks of fangs.

They were everywhere.

Her arms, legs, neck, stomach.

ReRe herself only had on undergarments- even those however, seemed like the bare minimum of what one could call clothing.

They covered nothing, and left little to the imagination.

"Hurt me?"

ReRe is barely able to pant the word out, before she is moaning again. This time sobs are mixed in.

I think frantically through all the Moon's Blessings I had studied and memorized. All the words I could say that might help her.

But I had no idea what was wrong.

The unknown darkness that dripped and moaned at my feet- terrified me.

Then ReRe starts to laugh.

"Shut up," Saint's voices matches all the girl's looks of bewilder terror.

I step forward, leaning down so that I can look into ReRe's eyes. Take in her soul.

She stops and focuses on me.

I shiver at the faint trace of red that glimmers there.

Not enough to be like them.

But enough to show that she was no longer that girl.

She had been taken by an evil that I could not save her from.

"Where is he?"

Her question is met with silence.

Tears roll down her face, meeting the carpeted floor.

"You are safe now," I whisper.

It's the wrong thing to say.

Wrong because the moment ReRe processes my words she starts to scream.

"Why did it stop?!"

I take a step back from the thrashing girl upon the ground as she continues to scream, "Why did he stop!? No!"

Her sobs have all of us backing away as ReRe slowly crawls to the door, her hands clawing at its frame as she tries with whatever strength she still has, to get out.

"Please, please," she continues to sob and beg. Beg for what though, I don't know.

"Please I promise to be good. Please I promise. I promise."

She looks at us, her frantic eyes sending silent shivers up and down my body.

The repressors upon my skin are hot- so hot they almost burn and melt my flesh- as she looks at me.

"It was so good. It was so good. Why did you take me away? Why did I have to leave?"

ReRe lies back on the floor, her hand slowly moving down. We all watch in stunned silence as she attempts to please herself- attempts to relieve whatever tension is inside.

Her hand falls to the floor though, and the sobs continue as she whispers, "It's not the same. It's not the same. Please. Please."

Several girls run away then. Run away into the bathing rooms, closing the doors to block off the sound of those cries.

I fall to the floor, my knees giving out as I watch ReRe's hand move up and down her body.

Her soft words, moans and screams echoing around within my head.

Something inside me cannot leave her.

And something inside me cannot help but think that she is like this, because of me.