Chapter 6

I look down at the girl. She starts talking to me.

"I'm sorry!" She sobs, "I don't know what's wrong with me! Ever since my 3rd birthday, I could do things that no one else could do! I'm scared, what will they do to me if they find out!?"

Her words are hard to make sense of because she talks so fast.

"Shhhh. It's ok." I kneel down next to her.

"Who will find out?"

"The General, he's on to me. Every time he's here, he stares at me. You're not going to tell anyone, will you?"

I want to ask her how she froze everyone else, but not me. But I don't, it will just make her more upset. I can't tell the General, or I'll lose all hope of finding out what's wrong with me too.

"I won't tell."

"Pinkie promise?" She holds out her pinkie. I smile, my brother made me do this all the time when we were younger.

"Promise." I say, intertwining our pinkie fingers and shaking our hands.

"Do you think you could, maybe, unfreeze my friend. She can help you too."

"Really!"

"Mm-mh. And, you're not alone with the power thing."

Her face lights up, as if someone told her she was going to the fair. It was hard to get tickets to the fair, not many people like being far away from their home. I walk over to the man that had frozen in mid-swing with the hammer to pound a sword into shape. Sparks are flying around him, I grab some out of the sparks out of the air. I expect them to be burning hot, but they are warm, like a fire after being in the snow all day. I walk over to the girl.

"When I get scared, I sit in front of the fireplace, even if there is no fire. It reminds me, that there is beauty in things that can be dangerous. Like people, if they knew about us, would think we are dangerous? But, there is beauty in even the most dangerous things, like fire."

The girl cups her hands and I pour the sparks into her hands, they glow like the sun.

"Fire also shows me, that light can be found, in even the darkest places. Fire shines, even with all the fighting. It finds a way to show it's beauty in even the darkest times. And, sometimes, the most dangerous things, become something that helps you fight. It finds a way to take flight."

The girl and me walk into the hallway and to a window. I open the window, and she lets the sparks fly. Some of them rest on trees, but none start a fire. As we walk back I ask.

"Why can't you tell your mom?"

"Every time I tell her, she just tells me to grow up and stop pretending to be something you're not."

She hangs her head. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a mom that doesn't believe what you say, and doesn't have fun with you.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"My dad called me Bay. What's your name?"

"Sil. Bay is pretty name."

When we walk into the weaponry, Bay walks up to Kat. She reaches up and taps her on the shoulder. This time, I see a spark jump from Kat's shoulder to Bay's hand. Life comes back into Kat's eyes.

"So, do you want this wood or-" Kat realizes that everybody is frozen.

"What happened?"

"I like her better when she's frozen." I say. Kat swats me on the head.