Chapter 20

For once we were able to sleep in. It felt amazing. No one woke us up early to train. When my eyes did open from sleep, it was ten!

I turned my head and glanced at my bedside table. The loose paper with the prophecy is under a book I am currently reading.

I grabbed it and read it again. The symbols drift around like that did before. And they create the prophecy.

So crazy that this could happen. Whoever made this prophecy obviously has no sense of 'Death'. I roll out of bed and am greeted by April's silver eyes. I yelp, "Why are you in here?"

I stand up and stretch. She just rolls her eyes, "We came by to hang and you were still asleep. I just came by to grab something. We are all in the Game room."

I laugh as she walks out. I pull on some shorts and a t-shirt. I walk up the stairs and into the game room.

Kat and Eren are playing a very intense game of air hockey. I chuckle. I stop dead as a dart hits the board an inch from my face.

I turn to April, "What was that for?" I snap. My hands on my hips.

"Sorry, you got in the way!" She snickers, "Maybe you should watch where you are going!"

"Well for your information, I'm a total klutz," I say matter-of-factly.

I walk to the bar and grab a soda. I grab some darts and start to throw. The needles hit the target with satisfying wacks!

Some girls are playing ping pong, pinball, or even pool. A lot of them had the same idea as April to come have some fun.

***

Through a megaphone, someone's voice wailed. "Get up you sleepyheads! A big day is ahead of you!" A pause then, "Well, get up! I wasn't joking!"

We all scuffle into the hall side by side in numbered order. I'm standing next to April. Kat is still wearing here horse pajamas. I'm just in shorts and a t-shirt.

We all quickly salute, "At ease. Now, I hate to wake you at this hour for this reason. But, it is protocol." He sighs, "In about three hours, the soldiers and their General will be here. I expect all of you to be cleaned up and in the red suit in your closet."

I glance at April who stands next to me. I arch an eyebrow. She just shrugs. Her auburn hair has escaped from its ponytail holder some strands fall all the way down her back, almost in line with her hips, just a little longer.

I have never seen her hair down. Out from behind her tank top, a wisp of black ink escaped. What are you not telling me, April?

I tune back to the General, "....not worth your time. Just hate me. We are supposed to be the most elite force of warriors when we are all combined. Now, dismissed." I turn to go but he calls me back.

"Yes, sir?"

He sighs, "I know you are hiding something and that you know more than you are letting on."

You have no idea. I think to myself. "I'm not. I swear."

"Then who is Bay?" He asks skeptically.

"Just a friend...of my brother."

His eyes squint. Just at that moment, Leisle walks in. Something small pressed into her palm. "General, 15 is going to be late."

He seems to snap out his reason for a lecture, "Fine, go."

Something sharp jabs me in the side. I bite my lip to keep from crying out. I quickly rush to the bathroom's upstairs.

In the mirror, I lift up my shirt slightly and examen the site spot. The needle felt like those air pressurized ones that hurt like shit!

I wince when my body shifts. A large dot of blood sits on the puncture mark. What the hell!

I quickly shower, my wet hair falls down my back in knots. I brush it and pull it into a ponytail.

I take a rubber band wrapped around my wrist and flick Kat with it. "Hey! That hurt!"

"Ha! Payback." I chortle. I push open my closet door, on one side are my normal, everyday clothes. I'm the other hangs a lonely red uniform. I pull it on, okay more like I struggle to pull it on.

Around my lower legs and hips, black leather straps wrap around. Black boots sit on the floor, I kick them to the corner of shame. Closely followed by black gloves. The suit hugs my body, but it feels easy to maneuver. The inside of my right arm is padded.

"Hey, Kat?" I ask.

"Yeah. What do you need?"

"Do you have this padding built in on your arm?"

She glances at her arm and shakes her head. "Maybe it has to do with your results from the tests."

I shrug and continue to check for anything. Little pockets are hidden on my legs and arms. Huh, maybe Kat is right.

We gather in the yard and learn we were woken up at 5 and it is now 6. The sun is just peaking out from behind the trees.

"Behind me are the weapons I have chosen for all of you. And today, we'll see who actually pays attention to my lectures."

***

Alrighty here. I getting really happy because everyone is going to be surprised by what happens. So I hope you are all enjoying. I'm sorry this is late.

Now for this week's shoutout. You are amazing Elli! You are an amazing friend and have always helped me. That's it for this week. See ya next time.

~ Star