Chapter 1 Strange but Special

Hermione's life had changed a bit since the war as well. She moved to a small village right outside Diagon Alley. It may have been small, but it felt like home to her. She opened up the front door of her house and smelled the fresh air of the morning. It always seemed to put a smile on her face. "Little town, it's a quiet village. Everyday like the one before. Little town full of little people, waking up to say", she sang to herself. Hermione enjoyed singing now-a-days to take her mind off things.

  "Lumos", she heard five different people say. Hermione thought that these people should be careful with magic, since a muggle could see at any moment.

  She tapped on the bricks to enter Diagon Alley and watched the same thing occur day after day. "There goes the baker with his tray like always, the same old bread and rolls to sell. Every morning just the same since the morning that we came to this poor provincial town", Hermione said as she grabbed two pumpkin pasties off the tray and placed six knuts on the counter.

  "Morning, Hermione."

  "Morning, Madam Violet."

  "Where are you off to today?", asked Madam Violet as she collected money from the other wizards and witches.

  "Flourish and Blotts", Hermione said with a smile as she looked down at the book in her hand. "I just finished the most wonderful story about a philosopher and a stone!", Hermione said with cheerfulness. Now that Hermione was done with schooling, she spent most of her time reading books and doing house chores.

  "Sounds boring", said Madam Violet as she counted the money, not even looking up to see Hermione's face anymore. Hermione signed and decided to continue on with her journey. A lot of people these days stuck their noses in other people's business instead of books, she only wished to find a way to change that.

  "Look there she goes that girl is strange, but special, dazed and distracted can't you tell?, Neville told Seamus as Hermione passed by.

  "Never part of any crowd, cause her head's up on some cloud. No denying she's a funny girl, that Granger."

  A huge smile appeared on her face as she entered Flourish and Blotts. The owner was the one of the few people who understood her these days, the other was her father. "Morning Miss Granger."

  "Morning, sir. I'd like to thank you for recommending the Philsopher's Stone. It was an amazing story, very well written. Have you got anything new?", she asked as excitement ran through her.

  "Not since yesterday." Hermione's smile suddenly faded. She was hoping to find a book about more magic, fantastic beast, maybe even an enchanted castle with talking objects, but that was all a dream which would never come true. The only things that talked in Hogwarts were the paintings, but that was old news. Been there done that, and some of them weren't very friendly.

  "Well then, I'll borrow this one", Hermione said as she picked up a leather book on the shelf. 'Hogwarts: A History' was stitched on the cover.

  "That one? But you've read it twice."

  "Probably more than that. It's my favorite! Far off places, daring sword fights, magic spells, and a prince in disguise. Really takes me back to where I met my best friends." A sudden realization came to her, and she immediately stopped talking. "So, three knuts and have it back in three days?", Hermione was very close to the owner of Flourish and Blotts, so instead of buying them at full price, Hermione pays one knut for each day she borrows it.

  "Actually, if you like it so much it's yours."

  "But sir..."

  "No returns", the owner said with a smile.