Chapter 2 The Beast Within

David Granger was on his way to Wiltshire when he discovered that he had no idea where he was going. "Philippe, do you know where we are? Because I don't." Suddenly he came to a fork in the path. Philippe was trying to pull David one way while he was pulling Philippe toward the other. "This must be a shortcut." They traveled through the path for a few moments with ease, but things seemed to be too quiet. Suddenly, as if by magic, the spring air turned into winter snow.

David pulled on the rope to stop Philippe as he tried to take in everything around him. David knew that it wasn't suppose to be obvious to muggles, however, that's exactly what this was. David saw something white and furry almost scratch his face. The forest was now flooded with wolves. Philippe ran as fast as he could, but the wolves only seemed to get closer.

David didn't even realize how far Philippe had taken him, but the wolves were finally out of sight. Suddenly a huge manor came into view. Dark wood covering the outside walls with tall towers at each of the four corners. There was a stone pathway with bushes along each side, stopping at the iron gate. David tied Philippe to the main gate, while he went to go step inside the manor. "Ahh, a chance to rest up. Philippe, you stay here, and I'll be back shortly." David inspected the manor grounds and saw that past the iron gate, was short stone walls all over the grounds, going in every direction. All of them seemed to have white roses. He got closer, and saw two parallel rounded staircases leading up to the balcony where the front doors were. David was about to knock, but right as his knuckles barely grazed the wood, the door opened. "Thank you", he said as he rubbed his cold hands together, but as he looked further inside he discovered there was no one there. "That's odd." The only thing behind the door was a fancy coat rack.

He searched through many objects of the manor, and even found a beautiful antique clock and candelabrum. David thought the inside of the manor was absolutely stunning. The outside was dark and mysterious, but the inside was filled with beautiful Victorian furniture. From a grand piano to dining room chairs, the manor seemed to have it all.

Things seemed to go downhill when David entered the dining room. Right as he grabbed the fork that was placed on the table, a teacup pushed itself next to the plate David was eating off of. "Thought you'd like some tea with your meal", the teacup said in a cheerful voice.

"Err.. thank you." David dropped his fork and knife, and ran as fast as he could. Hermione had once told him if there was ever a time where he saw something unusual, then he should get out immediately. "I might not always be there to protect you", were her exact words.

He ran back to his horse, and decided that it was best to head back to the village then continue traveling, but David froze when saw a rose garden in the middle of the stone pathways. He almost forgot about Hermione's request, so he stopped Philippe for a second before hopping off and taking a look at the roses. Amongst all the white roses was one crimson rose in the middle of the garden. It reminded David of his wife immediately. She always wanted the best for Hermione. David grabbed ahold of the stem, but before he could break it off the vine, something knocked him aside. Laying on the hard, cold, stone floor all David saw was a large shadow before everything went black.

                                        ***

   Hermione absolutely hated how her life was going right now. She wanted to be an Auror at the Ministry. She missed all the excitement of saving Harry Potter every year. The professors said that the students would use most of the advanced spells later in life, but she was believing that all to be a lie. At this point she saw no reason for her wand at all, except to place a huge barrier between her and Cormac.

  No Ministry would want to train the weird bookworm, but they want Harry, the one person who didn't know what he was doing half the time? Hermione didn't want to admit she was jealous, but she was. Maybe one of these days she'll find a place where she belongs.