Chapter One

Copyright © 2012 Tavita Khan

All rights reserved

~

I feel like such a jerk to you guys cause I said I wouldn't write a sequel/spinoff, whatever this is, of Bitter Kisses, but I had to. I really WANTED to. I feel like I can't rest unless I write this. I started this at night yesterday and already have like 7 pages done. 

Okay, just know that there will probably be NO action whatsoever, only drama, love and it's going to be SHORT. I'll be doing a lot of time skipping. This is not meant to be a novel. It's like a long-short story. It's just Bitter Kisses extended basically. 

Anyway, comment, vote, fan, whatever. Cover made by the lovely Ms. ehblahshush from Fruity Designs. 

Also, I don't remember everything from Bitter Kisses so if something doesn't match up and you catch it, let me know and I will fix it. 

~

Chapter One

~

In memory of Xavier Landon Wolfe, beloved son and friend.

As I stared at the words I’d read over a million times before, I wondered how long it would take for me to get over his death. It had been a year since the battle, but whenever I was free, I’d come to this graveyard, stand over Xavier’s resting place and let myself live in my hopes and dreams. It was wishful thinking – I knew that. But I couldn’t help but wonder what would’ve happened if he hadn’t died in my arms that night.

I love you…I love you…       

My head turned away from the familiar, haunting words and I looked at the large oak tree that shaded over his grave. The sky was turning bleak and mountains of gray clouds were rolling in. It was going to start storming soon and I shouldn’t be under this ginormous tree, but I couldn’t move away if I wanted to. My body and soul was drawn to Xavier’s grave like moth to light.

“Cadrian.”

I closed my eyes and looked at my lap, not bothering to turn around. It was Hayden – he was always the one who found me and brought me back to the Shadow Pack, the only place I’d felt like I truly belonged. Hayden was the new Alpha of the Midnight Pack, Xavier’s successor. Xavier never had an heir, because he had rejected me as his mate, so the Wolfe line couldn’t continue. The pack had chosen Hayden as their leader.

“Come on, sweetie. I’ll take you home,” he said, when I didn’t answer. He put his hand on my shoulder and a shudder rippled through my body at the coldness of his skin. A sigh escaped his lips and he eased me up onto my feet. His arm came around me and he pulled me to his chest. I tucked my head under his chin and closed my eyes.

The rain began to come down hard at the exact moment, replacing the tears that had suddenly began pouring down my cheeks. Sobs wracked through me and my arms wrapped around Hayden’s torso. I hated crying – it was weakness and I was the Beta of the Shadow Pack – I shouldn’t be showing weakness. I couldn’t help it, though.

The words poured out me without my consent. “I hate living, Hayden. He hurt me so much, but I can’t help but love him and miss him and want to die, so I could be with him,” I choked out. Wet, black curls of my hair stuck to my face and shoulders and whipped through the air as the wind picked up.

Hayden pressed his face against my hair, rocking me side to side. “Shh,” he whispered. “Don’t say that.”

I stared up at the sky as the heavens cried with me. The raindrops slid down my face, masking the tears, though it could do nothing for my red eyes. “It’s true though,” I whispered. “I feel like I no longer have anything to live for.”