Chapter Fifteen

Sorry for the late post! I might (cross your fingers) have a laptop available by Sunday, so then I'll be able to upload regularly!

Chapter will be short again! But the next chapter is long! Promise. :)

~

Chapter Fifteen

~

I hated the fact that Tristan could so easily pretend like I didn't exist for almost two whole months. 

It hurt, not being able to feel his embrace or run my fingers through his hair or taste his lips. But it hurt more when he told others when they asked where I was, that we were taking a break. I didn't want to take a break. We never agreed on the break. It both angered and pained me.

Looking at him now, from a distance, as he worked on his car with his growing hair falling over his forehead, oil stains on his clothes and face and the fierce concetration in his eyes made me miss him so bad. I didn't like being away from him because I loved him so much.

When he glanced up and his blue eyes met mine, I froze in place and we just held gazes. I felt the rush of emotions go through me like it always did when we stared at each other and held my breath and desperately wished I would avoid rejection. But he broke our contact by turning away and walking off towards one of his workers.

Wounded, I took in a staggering breath and made my way home. I was tired of crying. I held back the tears that desperately ached to fall the whole way and shut the door quietly as I stepped into my apartment. I collapsed on the couch and rested my head in my hands.

Needing someone to talk to, I pulled out my phone and called the number I knew from heart by now.

"Hey, babe," Sierra's voice said through the phone.

"Sierra," I croaked, tears thick in my voice and welling up in my eyes. I rubbed it furiously, unwilling to let even one drip down my cheek.

"He still hasn't come around yet?" she sighed.

"No," I murmured, staring at a picture of Tristan and me, arms around each other, my cheek pressed against his chest, smiles alighting both of our faces.

Sierra was silent for a minute. If I hadn't been listening to her surprisingly calming breathing, I would've thought she had left. Then after a while, she finally spoke. "Finding out you can shift into a wolf is probably something hard to come to terms with."

My eyes fell away from the photo. "I thought he loved me enough to understand."

"Caden," Sierra laughed. "I think he loves you more than Jebadiah or Xavier did. He's pursued you for a year without giving up once. He knew about you for two whole years of dating, not even how old you were, and he was still with you." Sierra told me. "Tristan is crazy about you, Cade. I met him. I know. He looks at you like you're a goddess."

"Are you sure?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

I could almost hear the smile in her voice. "Positive."

~

The next day, I couldn't help myself. I got in my car and drove towards Tristan's place, parking a block away, so he didn't see me. I walked casually to his house, my hood pulled over my loose curls that were cascading over my shoulders. The streetlights cast shadows across the empty street.

The lights were on in Tristan's house, a contrast to his neighbors. I felt bad about checking up on him like this, but then when I caught Alexis's scent and noticed her car parked by the curb, my eyes dilated in anger. Ever since Tristan and I had been on our supposed break, she had been moving in on him like she had a chance. I clenched my fists as I edged closer, silent as a wolf (no pun intended), steps light until I was right beside his living room window.

I couldn't see through the drapes, but I could hear the soft noise of all the TV and especially the voices of Tristan and Alexis. My eyes narrowed as I heard her speak to him.

"Come on, Tristan," she cooed. "Let me cheer you up. You've been so sad since your break-up with Cade. I hate seeing you like this." Her voice was a purr.

I glared at the window, wishing I could see the expression on Tristan's face. Then I wished I could rip Alexis apart like I did with the hunters that I had fought in Springfield. The urge was so strong, I had to bite deep down on my lip and clench my eyes shut tight, breathing in evenly and deeply to stop myself from shifting.

"No, Lexi," he denied. I hated the nickname that told me that they were close. Of course they were, they had known each other since high school. But that didn't mean I had to like it. Something about Tristan had made the jealous and possessive side of me rise. "I can't. I'll feel like I'm being unfaithful to her. I can't do that." He sighed and there was a thud as he dropped onto his couch heavily.

Alexis anorted. "Come on, Tristan. I highly doubt she's alone right now. She's attractive enough and has probably been with a dozen men by now. It's been two months, right?"

I hated her. I really did. But I knew Tristan thought better of me than to believe her. He knew I wasn't a big fan of one night stands.

"I think it's time for you to leave, Alexis. I love Cade and she loves me. She's not with another guy right now," Tristan said firmly.

Smiling, I turned and left. That was all I needed to know. And if my predictions were correct, Alexis would be on her way out in about five minutes. I didn't turn to check and instantly got in my car to leave. Looks like Sierra was right after all.