Chapter Two

You'll meet that very special main character in this chapter and I hope you know who he is when he shows up. :] Thanks for the great comments and votes, I appreciate it so much.

The dedication is for this wonderful book cover maker who made my new book cover. Actually, she made two. The other one is on the side ----> You guys should definitely go to her for book covers, she makes great ones! :] Thanks Lost_In_A_Dream.

~

Chapter Two

~

Jebadiah didn’t let me go back to Xavier’s grave for another two weeks. He kept me busy around the pack, telling me I needed to train some of the preteens or spar individually with some of the young wolves that needed to get better at their hand-to-hand combat.

I felt even emptier without being close to his resting place. I needed to go. I didn’t care that I sounded mentally screwed up in the head – I was tired of walking around like a zombie, half-dead. It hurt my head seeing all the mated couples, the children, it hurt seeing Michael, the boy I considered my own son. Because he just reminded me that now the chances of me birthing a baby was slim to none and he’d never really be mine.

“Mommy!” Speaking of Michael, he was running headfirst at me. I caught him before he could hurt himself and lifted him into my arms. My arms trembled and I couldn’t help, but notice he seemed much heavier than the last time I picked him up. Either he was getting bigger or I was getting much weaker.

“Hey, baby,” I smiled at him weakly and pressed my lips to his temple.

His little hands grabbed both of my cheeks. “Mommy, Jeb asked me to get you,” he informed me, blinking his big blue eyes.

“Did he now?” I asked, shifting him to my hip so I could look at the two fourteen year old girls who were standing to the side, watching us. “Take a fifteen minute break, if I’m not back by then, continue sparring. Keep track of who wins how many rounds – whoever knocks the other down on her back first wins,” I instructed before picking up my water bottle. “Do you know why Jeb asked for me, Mikey?”

Michael shook his head, floppy, honey, brown hair falling across his face. I brushed it away – he needed to get a haircut soon. “No, Mommy. But can you not go?” He pouted, his fingers wrapping around my hair, though he made sure it didn’t hurt me. “I want you to play with me.”

I puckered my lips and Mike kissed me, but his lower lip still stuck out in a stubborn pout. “You know I can’t say no to Jeb.”

“Cause he’s Alpha?” he huffed.

 “Yes.”

“But you’re Beta!”

“That might be so, but I still have to listen to him, sweet pea,” I nuzzled his face with mine affectionately.

He tucked his head under my chin and his face pressed against my neck. Michael’s hand was on my chest, right over my heart which was thudding hard against my ribcage. “Mommy, I love you. Will you play with me later?”

“If Jeb says I don’t have to do anything else,” I sighed, hand grazing his soft hair. “And baby, I love you, too. So much.”

Raising his head back to look at him, he flashed me a brilliant smile. I could see my boy growing up to become a playboy, breaking hearts left and right, if that twinkle in his baby blue eyes was anything to go by. “Okay, Mommy,” he said charmingly before wiggling down from my arms. He hugged my legs, coming only up to the middle of my thighs before running off.