Chapter Eight

I found a way to write, but don't ask cause I'm tired. It's 4 in the morning. So enjoy.

~

Chapter Eight

~

He’s stalking me. He has to be stalking me, I thought as I caught Tristan’s scent. It had been a month since I’ve moved here and I thought I had gotten away from my past…but it looked like one person followed me to my future.

Before the Circle even signed the treaty and the war ended, I had seen Tristan literally every time I went outside. He was relentless. I didn’t know what he saw in me. Was it just my looks that attracted him? It couldn’t possibly be anything else. Every single time he asked me out – which was a lot – I rejected him. I was close to even punching him this one time. How could he still want to go out with me after all that?

I looked back over my shoulder to see Tristan. He didn’t seem to have noticed me yet. He was talking to an older man in front of a garage, a smile on his face. I looked away from him because there was something about him that reminded me of Xavier. Even though they looked nothing alike. I breathed out softly and began to walk towards my apartment. It was twenty minutes away, but I didn’t really mind the walk.

The apartment itself was very simple. It had two bedrooms, for when Michael visited, a balcony, kitchen, one bathroom and a couple closets.  The living room was decent sized – nothing too big. And my apartment was on the second floor. The view wasn’t that bad either. My balcony looked out over the forest. It was perfect for a late night run. The two bedroom windows gave a perfect view of the woods as well. There was always fresh air coming in. 

But I had kept it all simple. There wasn’t much. In my room, there was a bed, my closet was full of my clothes and in the corner, there were books and CDs piled on top of one another. Michael’s room wasn’t that different either – it was just a simple bed with some of his clothes in the closet. When he came over, we were always outdoors. Either I took him to an amusement park, zoo or to train him deep in the forest.

It was strange going to the gym to teach kids about self-defense and coming home to an empty apartment, but I was beginning to get used to it. Jebadiah had helped me settle in, opening a bank for me and putting a few grand in there, but I wanted to do this on my own. Pay my own bills, buy my own food, clothing, everything. I was twenty – it was time I stopped living off of others. 

When I arrived at my apartment, I opened the door and walked to my kitchen to get a drink. It was the only part of my house that actually had some color. There was food everywhere. Meat, fish, fruits, dairy, snacks. I filled a tall glass with water and downed the whole thing, quenching my thirst. With a sigh, I went to my room and crashed on the bed. It only took a minute for sleep to crash over me.

~

The next day, I wasn't surprised when I ran into Tristan after I was walking home from the gym. I held in a sigh and ran my hand through my hair, accidentally taking it out of its ponytail.

"I know you're probably going to think I'm stalking you, but I swear I'm not. I just bought a garage here - my friend Tim told me about it. Honestly, I never though you'd be here, too. Shit. Don't you think this is a sign?" he asked, his words tumbling together.

"Sign for what?" I asked because he had confused me.

Tristan looked at me with gorgeous, hopeful blue eyes. It reminded me of Michael, when he wanted something. "That maybe you should give me a chance?"

"I've said no for the past year, Tristan," I replied, trying to move past him.

He blocked my way. "Please. Will you at least give me your name?"