4. pondering and sunday mornings

Drew's POV
*
She speaks in riddles, I swear. "Actions speak louder than words, my friend. Figure it out."—what does that even mean? If only it were that easy.

Fucking hell, that girl aggravates me so much. I cannot deny the fact that I actually like her a lot. In fact, I like her more than anyone I've ever liked before. It was going to take a whole lot of change for her to even think about going out with me.

She's all I can think about, I can't get her out of my head. Her voice, her laugh, her beautiful smile, the way she speaks—just Sage. Falling asleep thinking about her is exactly what I do every night, so it wasn't any different today.

You know when it's late and you're in bed and you're overthinking literally everything about your life? That's what I'm doing at this very moment.

So many thoughts running through my clouded brain.

What if I can't prove I'm worthy of her time? What if she likes Nate? What if Nate likes her? What if she starts dating someone else? What if she doesn't like the real me?

All these what if's and I'm stuck. I do not know how to change. I want her to see me but I don't know if that's even possible. It's inevitable for me to continue to hurt her and make myself seem more like a jerk.
*
9:15am.

Sunday mornings mean only one thing—homemade breakfast; pancakes, sausage, eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice, coffee, tea, fruit salad, muffins, biscuits, hash browns, roasted potatoes—basically anything you can think of for breakfast.

We've had this 'tradition' since we were younger. We had started this in the 5th grade, when Sage moved here. She came up with the idea and we've stuck with it ever since. We'd all get together on a Sunday morning and cook everything in the kitchen cabinets and then sit down and eat it like a family normally would.

Each member of our group has a specific job on Sunday mornings. Nate makes the eggs, bacon, and sausage; Aus makes the fruit salad, coffee, and tea; Levi makes the toast, muffins & biscuits; Sage makes the pancakes, roasted potatoes, and hash browns; while I set the table and clean the dishes when we're done. (They dont trust me cooking in the kitchen, they think I'll burn the place down)

As we sit eating at the table, I look over at Sage. God, she's so beautiful. I wish she'd be mine.

"You have a little something right there," Nate says to Sage as he points to a spot on her shirt. She looks down and he gets her with the trick. He flicks his finger up when she looks down.

"You're such a dad, Nathaniel," she laughs at him.

"Could be yours," he jokes further with a wink.

"In your dreams, drummer boy," she shoots, then glances at me using my fork to play with the food.

Nate and her are always joking around. Although, I can't tell if it's like in a flirting kind of way.

As the end of breakfast rolls around, I'm stuck cleaning while the rest of them have fun with each other.

————————————————————————this was kind of a filler but I promise my writing will get better. if you have any questions, you can comment or message me :)
also let me know what you think so far.