Ch.5 You'll Be Back ...In My Class

He sighed wistfully as he walked down the bustling hallways of the Hogwarts school, daydreaming about great green fields, sunshine, freedom, and the Burrow that awaited him when summer came....

The O.W.L. s had loomed over the students like a dementor, causing general anxiety and fretfulness, sucking the natural good naturedness out of everyone. Students pored over their notes more, searching for something, anything that might be on the test.

As if things weren't bad enough, Umbridge had ruled over the school with an iron fist. Not even allowing the students to use their wands, which didn't make any sense to Ron.

How are we supposed to learn magic, without doing any magic? He often thought.

However he didn't voice his opinion since Umbridge had a reputation of having the worst detentions. Even worse than Professor Snape, and that's saying something.

Ron sighed, looking at his schedule. He had Defense Against Dark Arts next. Umbridge. Ugh.

He facepalmed his messy red hair into his books.

Hermione laughed softly beside him.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

Ron suddenly looked up, startled, suddenly wishing he actually brushed his hair this morning

Hermione grinned, and swept a stray strand of red hair out of his face.

"Well, I suppose I have Poetry with Filch next." she said. "Wish me luck."

She turned into a classroom directly to the right on the hallway.

Ron gaped at her, and lightly touched the lock of hair she touched, holding it in front of his eyes, as if to convince himself it were real.

I shall never wash that strand of hair again.

He pinched himself a few times to tell this was not a dream.

WAKE UP RON YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY his subconscious yelled.

Ron looked up, startled, and turned into Defense Against the Dark Arts, and sat in a desk beside Harry, who grinned at him.

Umbridge frowned over the nearly empty class with a disturbing resemblance to an unhappy fat toad.

"Mr. Potter, I don't suppose you know where the rest of the class might be?" she said in a tone of forced politeness.

"Oh, they are in Dumbledore's office. It's theatre club." he said, smirking in a subtle way only visible to Ron.

Theatre club gets better by the minute. Ron thought, looking at the expression on Professor Umbridge's face.

"Well," she said forcing what she clearly thought was a smile "I will have to go to Dumbledore's office. He certainly cannot be happy about this. Imagine!" she huffed "This many students absent from my class. With the O.W.L.s coming up!"

She paused.

"And you two will have to come. I certainly cannot leave any students alone."

Harry and Ron internally groaned as she hed them down the corridor furiously.

Her heels clicked on the cold stone floor as she took a sharp turn up to the headmaster's office.

She looked at the griffin door (heh puns).

"Let me in!" she demanded.

The griffin didn't move. In fact it almost appeared to be smirking at her attempt to force her way through.