school dance

Jesse waited outside of Lukas's house impatiently. You fool, he thought, you're going to make a mess of yourself. He could feel his heart beating so loud that he wondered how Lukas couldn't hear it. Jesse thought back to what had happened earlier:

- a week ago -

Jesse saw Lukas from afar in the cafeteria. Now's your chance! he thought anxiously. He clutched his two tickets to the school dance and tried to prep himself. He's alone, goddamnit, you can go up to him. He began walking towards Lukas's table.

Lukas was holding a book in his hands, but as soon as he saw Jesse, he smiled and closed the book in his hands.

"Hey Jesse," Lukas greeted warmly.

Jesse felt his cheeks grow hot. Man, who turned on the heater here?

"H-hey Lukas," Jesse stuttered. He swallowed before uttering: "I was wondering if - "

"Hey Lukas, hey Jesse," Petra said as she walked over. "Whatcha doing?"

Something very important that you ruined, he thought angrily. He swallowed his words and said, "Nothing much. What you up to?"

Petra said, "I was going to ask Lukas if he was going to the dance."

PETRA NO! he wanted to yell out. All Jesse could manage was a "Oh?"

"Yeah. You going, Lukas?" she questioned.

Lukas's face flushed pink. "I, uh, well, no one has really, um, asked me out?"

Petra smiled and said, "Well, do you wanna be my date?"

Jesse thought desperately, Please don't say yes, please don't say yes!

Lukas turned a bright red. "I-I'm actually into guys more," he admitted. "Sorry Petra."

Petra's face grew dark. "Well, nice seeing you anyways," she said, before walking away sadly.

Lukas turned around to me. "Well, that was awkward. What were you going to ask me, Jesse?"

Erm, about that. "I was wondering if you would go to the dance with me? Sorry for, uh, putting you in the same situation as earlier."

I've done goof, he thought as Lukas's face turned red again, and a moment of silence ensued.

Lukas finally spoke. "I-I was actually hoping you'd ask me out. I'd love to go to the dance with you."

Jesse beamed. "I'm glad you said so."

- end of the longest flashback ever -

Jesse was pulled back into reality as he heard the door open.

"I'm so sorry! I must have not heard you!"

Lukas stumbled out of the doorway in a tux.

"I didn't mean it like that. I was just ge- Wow, Jesse..." he trailed off.

Jesse blushed, feeling his cheeks grow hot. He shyly pulled his hands from behind his back and held up the rose to Lukas.

Lukas squealed. "FOR ME?" He blushed. "I mean, I - Thank you."

Jesse extended out his hand and they walked to the dance together.

- at the dance -

The two danced together. Jesse was lost in Lukas's eyes, until he heard a familiar redhead scream.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU, JESSE!"

The couple stopped dancing and turned to see an angry redhead.

Petra was glaring at Jesse. "LUKAS IS MINE, NOT YOURS!"

Jesse stuttered, "I-I was going to ask him out a-anyways? I didn't mean to steal him from you or anything."

Petra was holding a bouquet of roses. She threw them at Jesse in a fit of rage and slapped him across his cheek.

"You slut! He's mine, and how could you do this to me!"

Jesse was too shocked to say anything. He wasn't a slut! It just so happened that he liked the guy she liked, and he really had gone to Lukas earlier to ask him out to the dance anyways, before Petra had walked in.

People started to stare. Lukas said carefully, "Petra, maybe we can take this outside..?"

Petra whirled to face him. "I've loved you for so long, and yet you go to the dance with that bastard! I thought we were friends! Good friends!"

Lukas remained his composure. "That's the point, Petra. I like you as a friend, nothing more. Jesse " - he turned to face Jesse - "I love Jesse." He turned towards Petra again. "I'm sorry if that's not how you wanted it to be."

Jesse's eyes stung. This is why I love you Lukas. Well, one of the many reasons why.

Petra glared at Jesse. She grabbed his ear and whispered angrily, "Someday, I will have my revenge on you, Jesse."

She walked away. "One day!"

Lukas's brows furrowed. "I heard what you said to Jesse!" he called out to her angrily.

But Petra was already gone.

He turned around to face Lukas. "Sorry for that debacle," he apologized genuinely. "I hope she didn't ruin your night?"

Jesse shook his head, but Petra's words blared in his mind.

Lukas pulled Jesse closer and whispered, "I'll take care of you, Jesse. I promise."

Jesse felt warm inside. He forced his tears back. "Thanks, Lukas."

Lukas smiled, "Hey - anything for you."

---------
Hey, hey, hey!
I've decided to write this in the meantime while my other book is on hold.
Hopefully, this isn't too bad? I've never really written a one shot before, so I'm kinda new to this. Hopefully, it doesn't make you cringe as much as it made me did. But hey, Jesskas for everybody.
I think I'll update this every three to four days or so? I'm a bit busy, with school and all, so who knows.
Anyways, take care y'all! Bye!

- alena <3