nightmares

It was nearing evening, and Jesse was heading back to Beacontown with his friends when he heard a whirring noise behind him.

"Jesse? What's that sound?" Lukas asked him worriedly.

"I'm sure it's nothing, Lukas," Jesse spoke, but his feet seemed to show otherwise as his pace quickened.

The whirring noise only seemed to grow louder, and it seemed to get darker by the moment. He felt Lukas grab his hand, and Jesse squeezed his hand in return.

"Jesse, didn't you defeat the Witherstorm?" Petra questioned him. Lukas responded for him, "Of course he did. Don't you remember?"

"Yeah, of course I do. But don't you see what's behind you?"

Jesse turned around. "What do you mean, what's behi- Oh my Notch."

Lukas turned around too. "What did you see, Je-"

The boys' words were cut off as they stared in shock at the looming figure seeming to rise up from the sunset. "The Witherstorm..." they said together. Jesse and Lukas blushed and looked at each other. "We said that the same time," they uttered in a synchronized fashion.

"Guys, not the time," Petra said, tugging at Jesse. "We need to get everyone to safety if that monstrosity is alive!"

They began to run towards the city when purple beams blocked their path and blocks started to fly upwards.

"Guys, run!" Jesse screamed. Petra had already started running, skillfully avoiding the beams and the tentacles of the Witherstorm. But Lukas remained in shock, frozen in place.

"LUKAS!" Jesse attempted to grab his arm, but a purple beam had caught the blonde boy. Helpless, Lukas shrieked loudly as he was pulled towards the Witherstorm.

"Lukas... No..." Jesse murmured. He began to sob uncontrollably. "LUKAS! WHY?!"

"JESSE!"

Jesse shot up from his bed. Sweating profusely, he began to rub his bloodshot eyes and wiped away the tears from his face. He glanced at the alarm clock on his nightstand.

2:43 A.M.

He groaned, staggering out of bed. Might as well get some water, he thought to himself as he realized that he was feeling awfully dehydrated. He staggered out of bed and began to walk towards the kitchen.

Jesse recently had a lot of nightmares concerning Lukas dying. Every time he woke up, he would feel terrible about letting Lukas down. Whether it was the Witherstorm rising again or Lukas falling from Sky City to his death, where this time there wasn't any land, it always came back to nag Jesse. It seemed to constantly remind him that he could fail Lukas big time, to his distress.

Stop it! he told himself. It's just a very bad dream with a very bad outcome. I would never let Lukas die.

How could I? I love him too much.

Yet he felt no comfort, no ease. In deep thought, Jesse had not realized that Lukas had woken up and was following the brunette downstairs stealthily.

Jesse finally made it to the kitchen in one piece. Shaking, he poured a glass of water for himself, the glass vibrating.

I feel so dizzy... dizzy... He began to sway and crashed to the floor.

Well, he would have, if Lukas had not stopped him.

"Easy, easy, easy, I got you." Lukas grabbed him clumsily by the waist and managed to pull Jesse to his feet.

I'm... dying... and imagining things...

"Jesse, are you okay?" Lukas spoke anxiously, grabbing Jesse's head.

"Lukas... you're dead."

"Love, I am not dead."

"You flew away... bye bye..." Jesse mindlessly moved his hands about, as if to demonstrate Lukas being taken up by the Witherstorm's beams. His face took on a pale color, and Lukas's eyes widened.

"Wither... bye bye... Wooooo...."

Lukas's voice sounded distant, and Jesse felt himself break out into sweats. "Wither bye-bye? Jesse, what are you talking about?"

"Purple... beams..." was all Jesse could utter before he felt his eyelids close and Lukas's faded screams.

- time skip (2 hours) -

Jesse opened his eyes. He felt extremely disoriented for a few seconds, but the sensation went away as quickly it had come.

It's so white... and bright... Where am I? Is this a hospital?

He looked around. Indeed, his assumptions were correct. He was, in fact, in a hospital.

Jesse panicked. What am I doing here?! Think, think think.

Witherstorm, Lukas dying - he shivered at that memory - him waking up, getting water, seeing a vision of Lukas - or was it really Lukas? - and then, nothing.

"I must have passed out," he muttered, not discerning he had a special visitor.

"JESSE!"

He felt someone squeezing him so hard he could barely breathe.

"Lukas?"

Lukas kissed him. "Of course it's me. Who else would it be?" he asked impatiently.

"What happened?"

"You started mumbling about the Witherstorm and me dying, and then you passed out cold. What was that all about?"

Jesse felt his nightmare come back to him, and he felt a prickling sensation in his eyes. "I had a nightmare," he confessed. "I dreamt about you being taken away by the Witherstorm." He sniffled, then broke into a sob. "I wasn't able to save you in time."

Lukas seemed to melt. "Aww, I'm sure you tried your hardest."

Yeah right.

"It's okay, dear. It's just a nightmare. I'm safe. You're safe. It's all good."

Lukas sat on the hospital bed and hugged Jesse tightly. "You worry too much," he scolded. "Relax. We'll always be there for each other."

--------
Was this bad? Sorry, I'll try to make it better next time. :<

I'm practicing on writing better one-shots, but till then...

Peace! ;)

- alena <3