II. The Hounds Arrive

It was afternoon when she strode into Sakana, a satchel slung over her shoulder. It contained a waterskin, some food, and a thicker shirt to layer over what she was wearing now for the walk back. Sakana was a small town built around a single, square tower that rose fifty feet high alongside the much older section of Zorion's wall that was damaged, though what was in danger of crumbling had already fallen decades ago. Sakana was also surrounded by a smaller wall facing south, sixteen feet high and eight feet thick. The town was well protected, save for the absence of a strong garrison. The northern border was so often forgotten that rarely was there a full warden presence in Sakana. King Aldana was much more attentive to the north than his predecessor, however, so there were patrols along the wall and the larger outposts had sufficient troops.

Goats and sheep bleated as they moved out of her way along the dirt streets. All the stone had been turned into granite walls, leaving the rutted dirt streets to their own. Sakana didn't get heavy rains often, but when storms hit, they could easily turn the dust to an unpleasant mud. A wide creek flowed through Sakana from east to west, supplying most of the town's water. Almost as soon as she stepped in, she was approached by one of the wardens.

Josu Loiola was a big man, muscular from working in the stables. He'd softened slightly in the stomach with the peacetime, but he could still crack walnuts in his hands and shoulder more weight than anyone except Vridash. "You alright, Sorne?" he asked, brown eyes worried.

Sorne flashed him a smile, though even a deep breath and a little shrug didn't ease the tension in her shoulders. "It's been an interesting morning. Is your brother in town or out on a patrol?"

"In town. There's trouble brewing," Josu said, rubbing at the back of his neck. "Naia saw you coming up the path and I thought I'd warn you."

That didn't sound promising. "What kind of trouble?" Sorne said.

Josu sighed. "The King's hounds," he said. "They're here looking for a woman."

"The same one Aitor pointed my way?" Sorne asked dryly as she leaned back against the wall. The stones were warm from the sun. "Brown hair, fair skin, definitely noble?"

"Reckon so, though they haven't asked me any questions yet and Aitor didn't say," Josu said in a low voice. "I don't know what she did, but the men asking questions seem very, very unpleasant. Their leader has knives in his smile."

"I hope you and Aitor told Naia to stay well away from them."

"We did." Naia was Josu's niece, an inquisitive eight-year-old with caramel skin and long, dark hair. She had Aitor's eyes, though hers lacked the flinty edge of her father's. Her mother was a southern woman who had not taken well to the cold, perpetually ill. It was unfortunate, but Aitor's duty station hadn't been changed since they were married and she had refused to leave him. Sorne was worried that one day, a frost would take Eider the way it took the green growth.

The girl in question seemed to materialize like a wisp, tackling Sorne from the side. "Aunt Sorne!"

Sorne swept Naia off the ground, though with a huff. "You're getting too big for this," Sorne said with a grin, giving the girl a tight hug before setting her back down.

Naia pouted, though it usually worked better on Josu than on Sorne. "But I like being up high."

"And I like having a straight spine, Nai," Sorne said, ruffling the girl's dark hair. "I'm not as strong as Vridash, you know."

"That's not what he says," Naia chirped.

Sorne smiled. "He says a lot of silly things. Now, where's your mama, hmm?"