XXIV. A Hint of Peace

"We outnumber them," Vipsania said coolly. "It would not be difficult to take." 

They were in Sorne's tent, contemplating the map and the offer that had arrived a few minutes prior. Ezkibel's interest in cartography provided them with an incredibly detailed view of most of Genev, which was very, very useful. There were no chairs here, but spare bedrolls had been spread out so they weren't just sitting on the grass. Sorne's shield was the table.

Vridash rubbed the back of his neck. "No offense, Not-Kith, but I think you're taking it a bit personally. Sorne and Zhou made it out alive and mostly unharmed. If Navarre wants to negotiate, we should."

"They wish to negotiate in bad faith," the western woman said. It wasn't often that she dug her heels in about anything, but Sorne could see it now. "We know that they are conniving and prone to betrayal. Allowing them surrender with terms is unacceptable."

Sorne sighed. "Vipsania, if we fight, we'll take casualties that we can't afford. Besides, if we occupy the city, we won't have to contend with walls if it does come to a fight."

Vipsania's eyes narrowed slightly. "The last plan relying on their good graces ended with you in custody. In my experience, the best indication of future behavior is past behavior. It is foolish to accept their terms. They must understand that we can crush them if they misstep. This negotiation is nothing of the sort."

"This is not an Imperial conquest," Katalin said. She was the one who had received the message. "Kindly keep your boot off my kinsmen's neck." She looked exasperated. "What happened to the calm, collected reason of our commander? You sound like Sorne."

"I don't crush people," Sorne said defensively.

"No, but get your blood up and you charge straight into fights, whether they're wise or not," Katalin said pointedly.

Vipsania was silent for a moment, though Sorne wasn't certain if she was deliberating or building up steam. "This is a mistake," Vipsania said finally. "That is my advice. What you do with it is not my problem." She rose to her feet and strode out.

Sorne sighed. She didn't like seeing Vipsania angry, though she wasn't certain exactly what was wrong. "I'll talk to her," she said. She looked at Katalin. "Tell them we're willing to accept their surrender. I expect Terese had something to do with the offer. How did the scouts fare?"

"Not well," Vridash said. "The ones who met with Zhou's people died. Grabbed most of them, since they were trying to impersonate our soldiers. Vipsania's left one running around."

It was an answer that made Sorne's brow furrow. "Why are they in the camp?"

"In case we want the enemy to know something," Katalin explained, crossing her arms. "He's under very subtle watch, but Vipsania said that the option to spread misinformation to the enemy would be helpful."

"Sneaky," Vridash said with a little shake of his head. "Gotta say, for how straightforward they seem, Imperials think in angles."

"Well, since I apparently can't be trusted to think clearly, you're my negotiator, Katalin," Sorne said with a bit of bite. "I know they might consider you common, but if they disagree with treating you as an emissary, have Vridash shoot one or something."

"This is exactly what I'm talking about," Katalin said, exasperated. "Violence doesn't solve everything. It would spark a battle, and Terese Sagarra could turn that battle into the inferno of our funeral pyre. Particularly given what she heard from you and your...friend. If that information makes it to her father, we will have a confrontation whether we're ready or not."

Sorne sighed. "And when will we be ready?"

"We're close, but we're not there. We need an ally, someone with a more professional force," Katalin said. "For that, I've reached out to a...friend. I know you might not approve of him, but he is exactly who we need to take on Aldana."