XIV. Taking Stock

"This changes things," Katalin said. She had requested a private walk with Sorne into the woods, leaving the others to their own devices. "I had thought we were contending solely with mages, but if what the creature said was true, we face a far more dangerous foe."

"I believe Mode," Sorne said. "Honesty seems to be the policy of their children, and the giants had to learn it from somewhere." The anger was fading, slowly replaced by exhaustion. It was mid morning and already she felt weary.

The noble was quiet a long moment before saying, "I believe them as well." She cleared her throat slightly. "Ezkibel cannot know. The last thing we need is him trying to leverage this to his advantage. How trustworthy is this Zhou character?"

"He's a slippery one," Sorne said. "That said, he seems sincere in his dislike for nobles. I doubt he would willingly inform Ezkibel of anything. I can't vouch for his friends, however."

"Yes, the Mourner business. I'll admit that I know a little about them. A few were caught and executed in Soule after an assassination attempt. They did not die easily. Some of my family's agents crossed paths with them as well, though they never had much of a relationship," Katalin said, looking up at a trilling meadowlark. There was a serious note in her voice now, something at odds with the pleasant exterior Genevais noblewoman were supposed to maintain. "I suspect that the King will tell everyone that my father is one of their number."

"Justifying an execution?" Sorne asked quietly.

"At least stripping him of his lands and title, which will destroy House Ibarra's standing. Aldana can then award the duchy to one of his cronies," Katalin said quietly. "Without lands, I am without fortune, and without fortune, I am without soldiers."

"We control Mauléon now," Sorne said, trying to draw on the lessons she'd learned as a commander. "Its coffers will do for a time, particularly if trade to Talin continues."

"Perhaps," Katalin said with a slight waver of uncertainty audible in her voice.

Sorne realized in that moment that Katalin was more than just a noble. She was a young woman, barely more than a girl, tasked with something that seemed impossible. The warrior stopped and turned to face her ally. "You have a solid, defensible position, an expert commander in the form of Vipsania, soldiers eager to serve, a potential spy network if you convince Zhou you're trustworthy, and whatever the hell Vridash and I are. We will win this."

"I wish I had that confidence," the noble said softly.

"A friend once told me that doubt keeps us humble. None of this will get easier, but if you trust yourself, you'll be able to do what Fate is asking of you," Sorne said. The thought of Áshildr was painful, but the lesson was a useful one. "Confidence comes in time."

Katalin nodded and then smiled. "We are fortunate to have you, Sorne."

"Tell that to Ekaitz," Sorne said. She appreciated the sentiment. "I doubt he's thrilled with me being around you after Mode's little revelation."

"He is a good man. Just too protective, perhaps," Katalin said. "Vridash prodding at him doesn't help."

"It's what he does," Sorne said with a shrug. "I hope you two are getting along, at least. Orcs do have their charms when you get to know them."

"Vridash has been very chivalrous and good-humored," Katalin said, smiling slightly. "I was not expecting it, but he conducts himself better than many gentlemen I know."

"He has a good heart. They don't," Sorne said thoughtfully, studying Katalin for a moment. "I'm glad he has the Ibarra seal of approval."

"Very much so," the noble said without really thinking. She seemed to notice after the words were gone and cleared her throat again. Sorne wasn't certain if it was a nervous or thoughtful habit, but it was noticeable now that she was paying attention to Katalin more closely. "Shall we return to the others?"