XXIX. Arrangement

Planning, regrettably, couldn't wait.

Still, Sorne found herself able to tolerate the talk of politics without gnashing her teeth for the first time since she'd killed Ezkibel. "Petri would be a good Duke," Katalin acknowledged almost reluctantly. She didn't seem entirely comfortable with the idea of Sorne putting anyone into power without consulting her, but she was making a game effort of hiding it. That said, she'd happily accepted Sorne's unusually good mood. "Astarac will be lucky to have him."

Sir Petri, who had been quiet up until now, nodded and said, "Thank you, my lady," to Katalin.

Terese was silent for a moment, a blissful state of affairs broken by the movement of the tent flap. "What is he doing here?" the noblewoman said, narrowing her eyes at Zhou.

The former thief beamed. "Ah, I am truly blessed. I was given the great distinction of a human pronoun," he said, prompting a smile from Katalin.

Apparently there was friction between the two noblewomen, which Sorne wasn't surprised by. Katalin's friendship with Vridash had been a particular point of contention with Terese. Sorne had been pleasantly surprised by the younger noble's willingness to fight on the orc's behalf. Getting Terese to leave the pronoun 'it' at the door had apparently required a full day. Sorne had already pulled Katalin aside for a brief word of thanks.

"I hadn't realized you weren't introduced," Sorne said. "Duchess, this is Zhou Xiang from the Whispering Isles. He is our unofficial representative of a group of concerned citizens." She rather liked the sound of Zhou's full name. It was so very different from any she'd ever heard before. She was tempted to call him Xiang now.

"He is a Mourner," Terese said with withering heat.

"Don't worry, I won't tell your fellow nobles," Zhou said with a broad smile, obviously taking no offense. "You may still attend whatever parties you wish without my common stench lingering about your person, as I bathe regularly."

Terese's glare was completely ruined by his wink. She seemed incensed when she looked back at Sorne. "He has no right to be here!"

Sorne raised an eyebrow, silently asking Terese if she was serious. "Zhou Xiang is here as my advisor. He has been instrumental in our success. I would suggest you consider him with all the courtesy you afford my other advisors." Her anger was like a shark, placidly circling in the waters around Terese. If given provocation, Sorne would absolutely call it up to strike.

Terese dipped her head slightly to Sorne, swallowing her outrage. However she felt, she was not likely to show much of it, at least not for a while. "As you wish, Your Majesty," she said. "On the topic of advisors...we should seek out Ghyslain Roche. He would be an able tactical mind and bring enough manpower to assault Soule itself."

"Where many innocents would die at his hands," Zhou said with a frown.

"It's a war," Terese said with a shrug. "I have never heard of one where civilians were unharmed. You tolerate Vipsania well enough, and she was a commander responsible for Ethilir's destruction."

Sorne almost bristled, but caught herself. Better to not let anyone have any additional windows into her psyche, lest daggers be plunged in. "I sincerely doubt he's even once considered contrition or repentance, as she has," Sorne said bluntly. She looked over at Terese. "You want me to offer him a title as well?"

"He needs only believe that you will," the Duchess said. "Whether you deliver on the promise is up to you."

"You should be careful, Duchess," Zhou said, making himself comfortable on the blanket covering the grass floor. "Northerners do not much care for oathbreakers. That you have no objection to the practice says much of you."