Chapter #14: No False God (ENDING)

I ran straight through Gatlin, never slowing my pace down for a second. Passing by all of the destroyed buildings and shops I did before, I only allowed a quick glance at any of them as I ran. It didn't appear that any of the children or Malachai were after me, but I wasn't about to take that chance.

Eventually I came to the opposite side of town, passing by the small white church from earlier and continuing on down the road. But not 2 minutes out of town was where I found something.

A car, stopped in the middle of the road. It was a black SUV....The front hood was open and cornstalks had been shoved inside of it, as well as through the tires and in the seats on the inside. Both front side doors were open and as I slowly approached the driver's side, my stomach began to feel sick. There was a heavy metallic smell coming from the car.

Blood?

I noticed the dried red puddle on the ground just below the driver's seat. This made me swallow hard. I wouldn't of been so afraid of this if I didn't know whose car this was...

It was my family's car....the chariot I was brought here in...

I walked up to the driver's seat now, the smell was awful, not just being blood anymore. But the smell of bodies that had been out for too long in the heat. And when I saw the actual bodies, the smell was confirmed.

My parents; Jack and Renee Perkins, both sat in the front seats of the car with their throats cut. Dead for days now, not having made it 5 minutes more after dropping me off with my grandparents.

I stared at them for minutes, not being able to speak. Finally, I stroked both of their faces, as to say goodbye and turned back to face Gatlin.

And then I drew in a large breath and screamed. Loud, long, shattering, and utterly powerful. Anybody left in the town and cornfield would've been able to hear it. After my first scream, I let out another one that was just as powerful as the first, this one causing me to fall to the side of the road where I stood.

Tears came then. I was surprised that I had any left. But what I was feeling inside was too great a depression not to have tears.

I was alone. There was nobody I could run to anymore. No possible sanctuary for me to find comfort in. I was stuck in this deserted town run by homicidal children that would kill me on the spot if they saw me now. My grandparents and parents were all dead and there was nobody here that I could trust to take me in. The only one left that cared about me was my little girl, but even she didn't have the perceptions to understand that yet. She wouldn't even remember me by the time she was grown....

The wind blew gently in the night as I continued to cry. The faint sound of the fire in the field began to die down as the flames began to extinguish themselves, and a rain began to fall as well to aid in the process.

Before long, a downpour began and I couldn't tell the difference between the raindrops from the tears on my face. I allowed myself to become drenched in rain, not giving a single shit about it. I just sat where I was on the side of the road and cried until I was sure I had no tears left inside of me. Once that moment came, I layed down where I was and closed my eyes to sleep, my back to the cornfield. I didn't care if one of those kids emerged from the field and found me now. I'd be better off stabbed to death anyways.

The rain continued for awhile, eventually stopping at some point in the night, because when I woke up the next morning, my clothes were only slightly damp and the ground was in the process of drying. The sun was low on the horizon, probably around 7 a.m. The surrounding sky was golden and pink with early morning, a rather beautiful sight to see after the events of the day and night before.