14. Can Never Get Enough

"So, when's your study buddy coming today?" my mom asks, sitting on the living room couch and watching TV.

"Six," I mumble. I'm making myself a warm cup of hot chocolate, listening to the spoon clink against the side of the mug as I mix the contents together.

"Has he called you yet?"

No, he hasn't. I'm not even sure if it's disappointment I'm feeling because he avoided me all weekend, or anger because of what happened on Friday. I can practically feel the frustration boil every drop of blood in my veins.

"No," I tell her. "But I know he'll be here." Do I want him to show up? I think I'd prefer him to stay away from me from now on.

At that moment, the doorbell rings, and I force back a groan when I head to the foyer.

"Hi," Xavier says when I open the door, leaning against the wall with one elbow propped over his head. He looks so relaxed, so calm, and I ball my fist to stop myself from slapping that grin off his face.

Instead I roll my eyes and let him in without saying another word. My mother notices him when I close the front door, giving him a genuine smile and sneaking a wink my way. "Hello Xavier."

"Hi Misses Flores," he says. Then, he leans towards me and whispers, "Is your mom always home when we are?"

I gawk at him with one eyebrow raised. "No."

"Really? Why is she home now?"

"Braedyn wasn't feeling well today. She stayed home to take care of him," I sigh.

Xavier looks back at my mother, raising his eyebrows as though he's somehow surprised at the news. "Is he okay?"

"Yeah, he's sleeping upstairs." Why is this boy so curious?

He shrugs his shoulders, and we both take a seat at the counter. He looks at me as he takes his bag off of his back and puts it on the chair next to him. I move my gaze away, feeling Xavier's eyes pierce me like daggers.

I look back at my mother sitting on the couch, ignoring whatever show is playing on the television. She barely notices me looking back at her, and I wave my hand over my neck silently telling her to stop ogling at the two of us.

"I'm gettin' a little tired," she says, pretending to yawn. She shuts off the TV and stretches her arms. "I think I'm gonna head upstairs and take a nap." She sneaks another wink at me and I roll my eyes, resisting the urge to slap my palm over my forehead.

"Alright Misses Flores—"

"Please Xavier. Call me Elise," she interrupts, smiling. Then she heads upstairs and I hear the sound of her bedroom door closing, leaving the rest of the house in utter silence. It's almost deafening.

Xavier chuckles, grabbing his binders from his bag and setting them on the counter. I don't bother asking him what's so funny, he probably already knows. My mom has never been one for stealth... he probably caught her under that awful act.

"Your mom likes me," he points out, contently shrugging his broad shoulders.

"Don't flatter yourself."

He shakes his head, and I spot him looking at me in the corner of my eye. I tighten my fingers on the edge of the counter, clenching my teeth together. "Where do we start?" I ask.

"Math," he mumbles.

I immediately sense the clear dislike in his voice. "Don't like math, huh?"

"Don't like school," he groans, running a hand down his face.

I'm not surprised. He probably spends more time fighting than doing his homework.