33. Swimming or Drowning Alone

XAVIER

XAVIER

What I least expect is a slap from Delta as soon as she opens the door, hitting me square in the face and sending a wave of whiplash through my neck as my head jerks to the side.

It surprises me to say the least, but I'm not phased. I know I deserve it.

"Where were you?" she scowls, crossing her arms over her chest.

Staring at her hands, I heat with want. I'd been too far away from her for way too long. I need to be with her, right now, touching her, kneading her together.

Wishing I could just jump out and grab her, I reach out a hand but she backs away immediately. I feel nothing but guilt.

"I'm sorry," I say, and I mean it. Walking the streets alone is hard. Sleeping alone without her beside me? Even harder. But seeing her like this, hurt and practically ripped in two? That's the most difficult part.

I couldn't go home. Not after what my father and I had been through.

Lying on park benches is just horrible. It's so cold outside, I wreak of something horrendous. I should take a shower, but that doesn't matter right now. What matters is the way Delta's lip is trembling, the way her eyes are glazed over with anger and fear and something I can't quite decipher. The way she's trying to hide the shake of her hands and the paleness of her skin.

I know I completely fucked up when I realize she's doing it all because of me.

"I swear. I wasn't with anyone—I wasn't with any other girl. I'm sorry I left. I never should've done that. I-I'm fucked up. I never meant to hurt you—"

I'm rambling; something I do when the hate I have for myself comes through. Maybe she's just so angry with me, that she just has to tug me inside by the shirt and slam me against the wall, placing her soft lips on mine.

She tastes just like honey. I fucking love the taste of honey.

"Have you any idea how worried I was about you?" she exclaims, letting my lips go for just a second to catch her breath.

She inhales when I exhale. I inhale when she exhales. We breathe each other's air, and suddenly something clicks inside my brain. A light switch capable of powering every bulb in my head, surging every vein in my body like wires full of electricity.

She is my air. I need her.

She mashes her lips on mine and I take full advantage of it, winding my arms around her back and tugging her close to me. I feel her tongue swirl in sync with mine, but I need more of her.

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up when she lets out a soft moan from the back of her throat.

I never want to let her go. Never in a million years.