Chapter 3

Did he hear that? I glance at Taylor to see her eyes wide. Ryker slowly turns around, eyes narrowed in my direction. I gulp audibly. I'm too young to die. Instead of shying away from his gaze like any normal person I make a big mistake. I raise a questioning eyebrow at him. Taylor squeaks quietly next to me and stomps on my foot under the table. I break Ryker's gaze to glare at her. Ms. Croft asks Ryker to sit in his seat, which happens to be at the back of the class with a direct line of sight to mine.

"What was that for?"

"What do you think, you just eye challenged Ryker Marshal!"

I chuckle. "Eye challenge...seriously Tay!"

Taylor crosses her arms and huffs. "That's not the point..."

"It doesn't even matter, he probably doesn't even know it was me."

"Really, because it looks to me like he definitely knows it was you." She says smugly gesturing to the back of the classroom. I turn round to find Ryker watching me intently. When he sees me looking he smirks. I quickly turn around.

Taylor places a comforting hand on my arm and takes on a serious tone. "I promise that I will say good things at your funeral."

"Oh shut up!" I say rolling my eyes and pushing her hand off me. She laughs.

The rest of the class I keep my head down and don't put my hand up to answer any of the questions. I avoid looking towards the back of the classroom again but I can feel Ryker's stare burning the back of my head. Taylor stops commenting on my stupid actions, thankfully, and moves on to talking my ear off about the dance in a month.

"Oooh...and we need to go dress too! I know the perfect colour for you."

"Seriously Tay, the dance is in 4 weeks, we have plenty of time, and besides I probably won't even go. They're so boring."

"What!" She screeches, "we have to go...I want an excuse to go shopping and besides your my best friend, it's your duty to support me in whatever crazy plans I go along with."

"I think you'll find that I do that quite often, I deserve a break...after all, no one else is willing to put up with you for as long as I have."

"Hey!" She places a hand on her heart as if greatly offended. I let out a laugh, which she follows with one of her own.

~*~

The bell rings half an hour later signalling the end of first period. I suddenly remember the fact that Ryker might want to kill me between our next lesson so I hurriedly pack my bag whilst silently urging Taylor to do the same. Through some sort of best friend connection she gets the message and speeds up.

Once all of my bags have been shoved hastily in my bag I race out of the door with Taylor in tow, seeing Ryker get trapped behind the flow of students. Reaching my next class safely without being caught by Ryker, I settle down with a sigh.

"I think your safe now" I hear Taylor whisper from my left.

"Yeah," I chuckle, "For now at least."

"Apparently not from math though" she sighs as Mr "Hawk" (as we like to call him) walks into the classroom looking ever the sour man he is.

"Right class," his dull voice rings, "pop quiz."

~*~

"That. Was. Horrendous." Taylor exaggeratedly slams her head with her books.

"I think I've failed. Yep. I've definitely failed, I wasn't prepared." My brain begins to conjure up images of me failing every class and destroying my life....

"Clam down, there's no way you've failed that Miss Smarty Pants, if you have then I have somehow done even worse. Anyway, how long is this lunch line going to last? I'm starving!" She peaks over the sea of heads separating us from our beloved food. Slowly we shuffle forwards at a snails place. As if on cue her stomach growls.

"This line better hurry up if we want to save ourselves from that beast." I point at her stomach.

"It's just my body speaking to me." she places a hand over her belly patting it. A laugh bubbles out of my lips and before we know it we're laughing our heads off in the middle of the lunch line like lunatics.

Eventually the line progressed and we were ordering our food. Once the delicious goodness (note the sarcasm) has been slopped on our plates we make our way towards our table, the furthest table to the right, away from all the 'nobility'. I risk a glance over at their table. Ryker's not there. Relief rushes through me...I guess I escape being humiliated this lunch. I flop down on the canteen bench and place my tray in front of me.

"He's not here." Taylor says, pointing out his absence at the 'high' table.

"Good thing too, I don't think I'd like to have my butt whipped in front of the whole school."

"Ha, no offense to Mr Cool Boy, but I'd like to see him try. You could outrun anyone, not that they know that." She chuckled. I did defy the stereotypes of a typical nerd. I was incredibly athletic and loved running and dance. Nobody at school except Tay knew that. During P.E. I hid my sportiness in favour of not getting picked on or adopted into groups I'd rather not be in.

Half way through my lunch the door bangs open. One of Audrey's minions saunters in, swishing her hips. Followed by Ryker.

~*~

Hey guys, I know it's been a while but I had a bit of writer's block. Anyhow, I'm back now. I'll hopefully be updating more often now. I hope there is enough drama so far. Please don't be a silent reader and vote and comment...I really appreciate it. x ❤️