Chapter 4

Mornin' (or whatever time of day it is while you're reading this)....now...who else thinks that school is overrated....me.....anyone else? I mean, I get we're "learning" but what's with so many exams...are you trying to kill us before we graduate?! I really think so. Anyway.

~*~

Oh man.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear." Taylor says as I start to have a mini panic attack. Ryker has a smug grin on his face.

"Audrey is livid!" As Taylor says this I notice Audrey's clenched fists and death glare, which disappears once her 'friend' walks over.

"Please don't notice me, please don't notice me, please don't notice m-" I let out a sigh of relief when Ryker just sits down with his friends without having seen me. That was close.

I got back to eating my lunch, well, more like trying to tolerate my 'lunch', the stuff was disgusting! I watched as Taylor prodded her food, scrunch up her nose, then push it aside.

"I don't know why you're panicking so much, it's not like he would ever notice us," she looks at me for a moment then reconsiders, "well, at least not me....after that stunt you pulled this morning I honestly don't know what he'll do."

I pause with my fork half way to my mouth.

"Do you really think he'll do something?" The panic in my voice is evident, I place my fork back down on the plate, my appetite gone...strangely.

"Uh yeeeah.....I have a feeling you're doomed." She looks past me and gives a pointed nod. I turn around to see Ryker's attention focused this way. He laughs at something his friend says but locks his eyes on mine. I gulp and whip back round to find Taylor watching me with a mixture of amusement and slight worry.

"I'll be fine, right?"

She contemplates for a moment.

"Yeah, sure." She laughs at my horrified expression. Her sarcasm is seriously not needed right now.

I smack her arm which makes her laugh harder, throwing her head back. I try shushing her but to no avail, she continues to draw attention....unwanted attention. I glance back to Ryker's table to see them busy talking and laughing, much to my relief. Eventually Taylor shuts up after me threatening to not make her anymore of my 'famous' salted caramel brownies, she really loves those, and I am spared from a public confrontation. We finish the rest of our lunch without any incidents and eventually the bell rings for next period.

Tay shuts her locker and I grab my study books. I have free period next so I usually spend it in the library studying. I say bye to Taylor and head in the direction of the library. I head past the shelves of books towards my table in the corner. I wave hello to Mrs. Terris, the librarian. She's a lovely woman with greying hair and wrinkles from years of happiness. She smiles back at me and gets back to work on her computer. I settle down at my table drinking in the quiet of the library, my sanctuary.

The door creaks open when I'm half way through algebra. I don't bother looking up as it's probably another student with a free period who comes here to study as well. Footsteps approach my table and a deep voice jolts me from my revision.

"Well would you look at that, my new favourite person."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, who do you think the mystery person is?