02

B L U E
E Y E S

The classroom door bursts open as a girl with long amber hair and a short skirt runs out, gasping for air. Her eyes were teary, and her cheeks were flushed a deep rose like shade. It was rather amusing how both her running and mourning came to an immediate halt when she noticed me. Whatever anguish she felt before was now washed away by shock. Wide-eyes, frozen in place. She was so hopeless in this current state; it would've been an easy job to give her the most traumatic experience of her life, just one final push.

My face contorted in disgust as I looked her up and down.

"Disgusting. You look like a pig when you cry."

I could see her eyes begin to water again, with tears held back, too afraid of what I was capable of if she had let them roll down her cheeks. Finally, she swallowed down her saliva along with her pride, eyes glued to the marble ground.

"S-sorry." That was the one word she spoke before breaking out into a sprint down the hall, this time with no sobbing.

It was satisfying how I didn't have to put in much effort for people to fear me. What I said could hardly be seen as harsh, especially considering my track record. It was a simple playground insult. I suppose she wasn't so much afraid or offended of what I just did but more so what I could do. She's heard whispers and tales of what I've done to others, and she could just be next. I could have broken her, but I didn't. Instead, I just toyed with her emotions a little, and to be honest; she looked more like a cow when she cried. But I wouldn't say that, it would just be so very mean, wouldn't it? It's rare for me not to take up the opportunity of driving someone mentally insane, seeing how amusing it was. I didn't hold back due to some stupid heroic bullshit like 'I don't mess with the broken ones' because, no lie, I do. But, I'm not going to do him a favour. Helping the enemy dispose of girls he had finished having his fun? No way.

I make my way inside the classroom and eyed Arsen, sitting on the plastic table haughtily, as if he didn't just break yet another girls heart. But I'm sure it was a frequent re-occurrence for him anyway.

"You sure do enjoy playing Casanova don't you?" I snickered as I rolled my eyes.

"As much as you like being the big bad wolf." He let out a stiff laugh. "But you're not very bad are you?" Arsen's eyes dart up to mine, his not even irritated, his simply entertained.

I don't like a lot of things in life if you name it, I probably hate it, but on that list, there's one singular person I loathe the most. I hate Arsen Blain with all my heart, and to be honest, I've never felt more heartfelt and earnest emotions towards another human being than him. I sincerely hate him with all that I have. To be stuck with him for two hours numerous times a week takes everything for me to continue and be a sane person. I've practically broken every single rule at Riverbank, skipping a few detentions means nothing to my already terrible record, but the thing is, I hate counselling, Ms Fitzbe, and Saturday detention even more; especially if it includes being in the same vicinity as that woman.

"Yeah, I'm not even half bad compared to you. I mean, using people to fill that hole in your," My index finger directed towards to my chest as I mocked a look of sympathy. "I applaud you. Only Arsen Blain can stoop that low. Even I'm no match for that, using others at my leisure simply because I'm empty inside."

I noticed his jaw clench just the slightest bit; it meant I've got him just where I wanted him to be. I picked up through our many quarrels that whenever he tenses, it signifies the time bomb has begun ticking. And now, his no longer entertained, but more so, agitated; as it should.

"What's wrong? Does it bother you that I've got you all figured out?" A smirk tugs at my lips at the snide remark.

Our eyes meet, and it almost catches me off guard how emotionless he seems. It was disturbing like he was barely a human. And at that moment I finally understood that the bomb had already exploded before this and what I'm dealing with is the aftermath of destruction. That's new, at least. This banter between us was getting old anyway.

"Millers," A sigh escapes his parted lips before he takes steps forward. His head tilted to the side. "Your mother..." Arsen's eyes stared into mine like he could see right through me, that I was all talk and no show. "How is she?"

"She's fine." My voice wavered the slightest bit. "How's yours?" I returned with a challenging smile.

"Anita often comes by my father's office," He ignored my question, but it had pissed him off. "I thought she was still hung over your dad, but I guess Secretary Johnson is quite the charmer. He's probably great in bed, don't you think?" He took another stride.

His words hit me a tonne of bricks. It both hurt and stung like a bitch. Arsen was indeed a malicious person. He knew I had skeletons in my closet that I didn't want the light to shine on and yet he still pried his tainted fingers in. But don't I do the same?

Finally, I was aware of how close the proximity between us was when he took yet another step. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest in panic. My body was visibly trembling, with tight fists and a clenched jaw; it was flight or fight. All fear of him opening my closet doors faded as background noises. It was instead replaced with anxiety and dread. The closer he got, the louder the ringing noise in my ears grew. As much as I focused on breathing, it felt like I was still struggling for air. We were mere inches away, and it was like water filled my lungs and fire burned my heart. Close. Too close. His hand began reaching towards my cheek, he was mouthing something, but all I could hear was ringing. Loud. Too loud.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" A strangled cry emits from the back of my throat before I could even comprehend what was happening. It was a natural reflex, a primal instinct. I stared into his wide eyes. I could make out human emotions in them now; he was confused.

Maybe, just maybe, I was mistaken; I was never the hurricane; instead, I was the ticking time bomb all along.

I break into a run. I needed to get away. The suffocating walls and the empty hall became one big blur of color. My lungs burned, screaming for more air and my legs grew tired, but I only ran faster, further, far away, until I was no longer in the vicinity of him.

When I finally stopped, I gasped for oxygen to satisfy the hunger inside of me. But it was no use; I was still suffocating. Inhale. All that I was thinking was to survive. Exhale. Learning to breathe again. Inhale, exhale. Inhale. My pounding heart quietened down, the world around me stopped spinning and the ringing in my ears faded away into the background. Exhale.

It was somewhat humorous how the evil villain could become a distressed and frail damsel in an instant. The one who taunted the girl with long amber hair and a short skirt became just as shaky and just as weak, if not more. Arsen was right, he saw right through me. It didn't matter how hard I try to pretend; I'm neither that bad nor strong as I make myself out to be. Shit. He got me. He had me all figured out.

"Scarlett?" A familiar voice that was so quiet, so breathless, it could've been easily carried away by the wind. I should've run the moment I heard footsteps; no one needs to see me in this state; hunched over and trembling legs. It would destroy the antagonist image I've built up for so long. Furthermore, I don't want to play the victim in this tedious game called life. They never win in the end. But then again it's not like it mattered when he was the one before me. My pretention and facade couldn't fool him, not after the shit his already seen.

My body froze as my eyes met his. It was a blue that reminded me of the bright still sky but at the same time like the ocean with high tides and roaring waves. It was the only blue that I've ever liked, but at the same time, it's the one I despise the most.