03

H U M I L I A T I O N 

"Lewis." The name made my heartache. The one syllable noun came back with memories that I've buried long ago, flooding back into my mind as vivid as ever. Like an old song that I still remember all the lyrics to when played on the radio, but a dreadful type of nostalgia. When you face someone who you once held so dear, now nothing more than a stranger before you, you have to control the urge to reach out so you can be home just one last time. Because it's different now. That person before me, I don't know him, at least not the way I used to.

"Hey." He whispered breathlessly.

I peered at him, with his golden hair, similar to the safari meadow and glassy eyes. He hasn't changed a bit, except now, beside him was someone different; it wasn't me.

"This is my girlfriend." Lewis gestured to her, the brunette with long lashes and model-like frame. Her face was carefully sculpted with highlighter and bronze, the light and shadows contoured meticulously; making her seem as though she was on the cover of a magazine.

I didn't know what to say, and no words were coming out, so I just stared. My heart drummed painfully against my chest, tightening every time I inhaled. That's how it is. That's how its supposed to be. When you wish to god that the one beside whom you loved was you. But there's no point; I still don't measure up.

"Is this the infamous Scarlett you were telling me about?" Her lips quirked up into a plastic smile. The type you see on Barbie dolls and commercials of actresses on television. Fake.

"Yeah, that's her." He didn't look me in the eye, but the emotion on his face was evident remorse. It only meant he did something he was apologetic, ashamed and sorry.

"So she's afraid of human touch?" She let out a snicker.

Of course.

I didn't tear my eyes away from Lewis; I wanted an answer although I already knew every single justification and pretend apology. He still refused to look me in the eye. I mean, how could he when guilt made him turn the other cheek?

"I can't believe how long you guys lasted with no skin to skin contact, whatsoever." A smirk played on her lips. The same type of smirk I make when my prey stands before me, and I slowly gut them whole. I knew exactly where this was going. "It makes sense why he left you though, doesn't it?"

It's out of my character to not speak up. The evil queen lost her voice in the presence of the person she once loved? It's pathetic, I know. But deep down inside, I wish he would be the one to speak for me, although always claiming I don't need to be saved. Part of me just never grew out of the longing. But he wouldn't be the knight in shining armor my younger and naive self-romanticized about; they just don't exist. He didn't even have the balls to look me in the eye. He wasn't a prince; he was a coward. However, who am I to be pointing fingers? What's coming out of her plastic hole is nothing but the truth.

"Or it could be the fact your daddy issues was too much of a burden."

My jaw clenched. It hurts, to be betrayed but there's nothing that could be done. It's a losing battle when the opponent already knows my deepest, darkest secrets. The only thing I can do is keep my pride intact by not crying. I won't let a single tear fall. I'm not weak like I was before. I can take the shit I dish out, plus, I've been through hell, so how could this even compare. Although I wanted to put on a brave act and curse at her, my body was frozen in place.

"What's wrong?" She snarled. "Do you want to say something? Like an apology to Lewis for how bad of a girlfriend you were?" Silence. "No? Ha. I thought so."